Alternatives to the LP Bata Stand

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Alternatives to the LP Bata Stand

Postby Firebrand » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 pm

How do you guys keep your batas, specifically in the pyramid formation? Do you use alternatives to the LP Bata Stand. I'd rather not shell out $300.00 just for a stand.

Also, what do you use to keep them tightly in the formation?
Firebrand

Re: Alternatives to the LP Bata Stand

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Try a keybords stand. Its not expensive ! I played with for many years.

Laurent Lamy

Postby Firebrand » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Any particular model / brand that is worth it, considering sturdiness and price?

Also, how do you stack the Batas properly. Iya in front, Itotele in Back, and Okonkolo on the space between Iya and Itotele? Or Itotele in front, Iya in back, and Okonkolo on the space between Iya and Itotele?

I suppose a tweed cord that can extend is what people use to keep them together on these stands?
Firebrand

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I have seen one other Bata stand on the internet. Sadly, I can't remember where now. But see if an internet search turns one up.
Whopbamboom

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Sol drums used to have one

http://www.soldrums.com/batastand.html

I don't know if you can still get them or not, might be worth a try contacting Akbar
at DW Gon Bops

Latin Rhythm traders has one too.

http://www.latinrhythmtraders.com/html/gear.html
Attachments
BataStand2.jpg
BataStand2.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
namm_04play2.jpg
namm_04play2.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
bongosnotbombs

Postby Firebrand » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm

I saw the Sol stand, but there is no price on their website. I assume it's got to the be about as expensive as the LP Bata stand (on second view, it's $600.00! TRIPLE the price of the already expensive LP bata stand). I did try Laurents' suggestion and borrowed a keyboardist friend of mine's Proline stand. While it did hold them together, in order to do so, the legs had to be folded at TOO high a height. the next "slot" on the fold out stand was perfect height, but was too wide to hold the Iya and Itotele on the stand. So that solution won't work. Unless someone has a recommendation that has worked for them (another stand which has worked). My height is 5'7".

I'm looking into the idea of some type of sturdy fold out table, that I can put a felt top too, and perhaps felts in between the Itotele, Iya, and Okonkolo (to minimize "bump" damage while playing). Any ideas on fold up tables that would work. I'm interested in knowing how other Bataleros on this forum have their pyramid formations at home.
Firebrand

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:56 pm

On this video you can see one of my student play on 3 batà on a keyboard stand : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1r44y0mNkk
Laurent Lamy

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:35 pm

The rhythm traders stand is $225

http://www.latinrhythmtraders.com/html/gear.html
Attachments
batast.jpg
batast.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
bongosnotbombs

Postby tamboricua » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Firebrand,

Here is how I set up mine.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
Attachments
Batá rack.jpg
Jorge Ginorio's Batá rack...
tamboricua

Postby Whopbamboom » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 am

You probably can't get Sol stuff anymore anyway. They're out of business, aren't they?
Whopbamboom

Postby Firebrand » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:38 am

thanks for the pictures and ideas.

Laurent, I tried a keyboard stand and while it held the drums, it was TOO high for me.

I just bought a small fold out table in Walmart, and it works great, except, it's too LOW (aarrgh..) I can play it on the table, but it's not good for me to be in that hunched position too long.

I am loath to spend $225.00 on a stand that won't see much actual professional use. I'm a neophyte to batas and even when I become more experienced, I do not see much professional "market" for it (I don't see myself getting called enough for professional performances to justify so much expenditures). For me, batas are, at the same time, a spiritual quest of learning and an exercise in developing even more interesting polyrhythmical ideas and arm independence. To that end, I don't want to spend more on them. I consider myself VERY lucky to have found a set of 3 Cuban batas for $300.00

Incidentally, can someone look at the other post on this forum and help me identify the maker? Please read http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4379
Firebrand

Return to Bata Drums