el lenguaje del tambor

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

el lenguaje del tambor

Postby PPurityofSinNN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 am

El Lenguaje del Tambor. has anybody seen this dvd? there is a short section on the technique for playing the drums with some rather interesting terms and names for the techniques. how do u guys feel about it. ive never learned bata from a cuban master so im wondering whether this terms and techniques are standard or if they are more out of context and specific to certain locations like matanzas or specific to this teacher..any thoughts on this?
PPurityofSinNN

Re: el lenguaje del tambor

Postby thomas newton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 am

PPurityofSinNN wrote:El Lenguaje del Tambor. has anybody seen this dvd? there is a short section on the technique for playing the drums with some rather interesting terms and names for the techniques. how do u guys feel about it. ive never learned bata from a cuban master so im wondering whether this terms and techniques are standard or if they are more out of context and specific to certain locations like matanzas or specific to this teacher..any thoughts on this?

The information you seek is in the title of this DVD sir. 'El Lenguaje del Tambor - Bata Rhythms and Techniques from Matanzas, Cuba'

Also - there is no 'standard'.
Last edited by thomas newton on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby vasikgreif » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 am

Get the DVD, it's great!
vasikgreif

Postby PPurityofSinNN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 am

The information you seek is in the title of this DVD sir. 'El Lenguaje del Tambor - Bata Rhythms and Techniques from Matanzas, Cuba'

Yes. I understand the style is obviously from matanzas as the title implies.. i just found the way the guy described certain things as rather peculiar and was wondering if others found it that way.. thanks anyways
PPurityofSinNN

Postby thomas newton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 am

What 'certain things' in particular?
thomas newton

Postby flaco999 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm

The video is great!!!
Keep in mind that Matanzas style is pretty different to the Havana style which is what everybody seems to be playing.
It's cool that the matanzas technique has different tequniques and ways of hitting the drum, I actualy try and incorporate it when I can in my own style ( I play Havanah style ). The matanzas style is a lot more sparse and simple . I think the best part of the video were the interviews , true masters talking about Ana and the history since the slaves came from africa.

A must have!!!!!
flaco999

Postby Congadelica » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm

I have this Book and DVD and it is a very good learning tool for Matanzas style Bata . and lots of information and history . the way the parts are shown are easy to follow and the sheet music is also easy to read . I just need to find more time to pratice .

Highly recomended!
M
Congadelica

Postby PPurityofSinNN » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm

thomas newton wrote:What 'certain things' in particular?

for example i speak spanish so im listening to what hes saying rather than reading the subtitles. so, he seems to be calling the slaps "chapeta comprimida", the open tones "campana" etc so far so good. but then he goes to say that the itotele always has "mordiente"(hitting both heads at the same time) and "chapeta" the whole time that it doesnt have any campaneo. if this is to be taken literally thatd mean hes saying that there are no open tones on the itotele and thats where it starts throwing me off
PPurityofSinNN

Postby thomas newton » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 pm

PPurityofSinNN wrote: hes saying that there are no open tones on the itotele and thats where it starts throwing me off
Last edited by thomas newton on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas newton

Postby PPurityofSinNN » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 am

thomas newton wrote:
That's right. He doesn't use any campana on the itotele at all in the demonstration nor are any included in the transcriptions. Presumably that's different to what you have seen before.

so youre not supposed to use open tones on itotele enu then?
PPurityofSinNN

Postby thomas newton » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:59 am

n
Last edited by thomas newton on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas newton

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 am

Enú is the "mouth", the larger drum head. "Open tone" does usually not refer to a rim stroke for a "campana" effect. Open tones and muffled (pressed) strokes is what you are playing on the enú of the itótele all the time, no matter whether you practice Havana or Matanzas style.

Thomas Altmann
Thomas Altmann

Postby thomas newton » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:

Enú is the "mouth", the larger drum head. "Open tone" does usually not refer to a rim stroke for a "campana" effect. Open tones and muffled (pressed) strokes is what you are playing on the enú of the itótele all the time, no matter whether you practice Havana or Matanzas style.

Thomas Altmann

Si señor, pero... on this dvd Daniel Alfonso does not play an 'open' inu on its own, only together with the open chacha as 'mordente'.
thomas newton

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Thomas,

I'm certain you are referring to Daniel's statement in the 2nd DVD's section entitled "Técnica del itótele".

A recommendation I have for everybody who studies with folkloric or ceremonial musicians is to rely on watching them perform, rather than believing what they tell you with the best of their intentions. I have known quite a few people in the Afro-Cuban tradition who tell you one thing today and another tomorrow.

Perhaps Daniel was exclusively referring to the passage of Ochosi that he demonstrated. If you watch even the very first toque (Latopa) carefully, it won't escape you that he plays "mordentes" as well as isolated open and muffled tones. I don't want to go through the entire DVD for further verification, because I'm sure that's the way it is done, anyway.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby thomas newton » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:07 pm

I am pretty sure all we have is a disagreement in terms and I am open to further examination of the dvd, discussion, etc .
Sincere regards,
Richard
Last edited by thomas newton on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas newton

Next

Return to Bata Drums