My Iya enu sound

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

My Iya enu sound

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 am

Hi everybody, I'm still strugling with my Iya enu sound. I made fardela, it made things better, but I still get kind of strange buzz in the sound - I made recordings of it with different mic placement, hope you can hear it there

http://pracovni.vasik.net/iya_1.mp3
http://pracovni.vasik.net/iya_2.mp3
http://pracovni.vasik.net/iya_3.mp3

Any ideas what to do?
Thanks
vasikgreif

Re: My Iya enu sound

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:28 am

vasikgreif

Postby windhorse » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 pm

So, you're replacing the head? Or just taking it off to look for a source of buzz and remounting?
I couldn't hear any buzzing in your mp3s, but I believe you. Usually that's something with the skin, not the wood. But, with the head off, you could tell if it's the wood.

I will be replacing all of my bata heads. He mounted all of mine without pulling the crown rings down away from the bearing edge! I can understand if you live in a wet climate and they pull down with time.
But, I'm in a dry climate, and the heads shrink rather than stretch! So, we actually had to loosen the rings right up into your hand's playing area! Mine are completely unplayable!

Such a waste to get new drums and right away replace the heads.. :(
Seems you have to pay a penance for owning the most beautiful sounding bata. :?
windhorse

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm not going to replace the head, not now at least, I removed the head just to look what's inside? You really cannot hear that strange sound, so you think it sounds like it is supposed to sound?
vasikgreif

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Sounds like a Iya to me, but it also sounds like your technique is a little off.
It sounds like you are hitting the iya like a conga.

I also think I tune mine a little lower than that.
Someone once said to me "An Iya should be felt more than heard".
bongosnotbombs

Postby Congadelica » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

windhorse wrote:So, you're replacing the head? Or just taking it off to look for a source of buzz and remounting?
I couldn't hear any buzzing in your mp3s, but I believe you. Usually that's something with the skin, not the wood. But, with the head off, you could tell if it's the wood.

I will be replacing all of my bata heads. He mounted all of mine without pulling the crown rings down away from the bearing edge! I can understand if you live in a wet climate and they pull down with time.
But, I'm in a dry climate, and the heads shrink rather than stretch! So, we actually had to loosen the rings right up into your hand's playing area! Mine are completely unplayable!

Such a waste to get new drums and right away replace the heads.. :(
Seems you have to pay a penance for owning the most beautiful sounding bata. :?

Hi Dave .
Just an idea , have you not thought about soaking the skins for half hour then turning them to a point playable .as they dry back them off a little . Its just an idea . it may work and save you 6 re laps .

M
Congadelica

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:48 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Sounds like a Iya to me, but it also sounds like your technique is a little off.

Can you please be more specific about technique? I have a fardela ring on it, and I'm hitting the head with the whole flat hand... If I can remember correctly, when we were by Thomas Altmann, he got similar kind of strangness in the sound... I naturally tried and would like to tune it little lower, but then I don't like the sound at all... Could you record your Iya sound?
vasikgreif

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:12 pm

vasikgreif wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:Sounds like a Iya to me, but it also sounds like your technique is a little off.

Can you please be more specific about technique? I have a fardela ring on it, and I'm hitting the head with the whole flat hand...

That description sounds like the proper technique, so perhaps I was mistaken.

Here is a recording of my Iya. It is tuned lower and I do not have fardela on the enu.

http://rapidshare.com/files/357181656/STE-002.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/357180260/STE-003.mp3.html
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Congadelica wrote:Hi Dave .
Just an idea , have you not thought about soaking the skins for half hour then turning them to a point playable .as they dry back them off a little . Its just an idea . it may work and save you 6 re laps .
M

Yeah, you mean stretching the heck out of them while wet.. Then, you have the problem of ripping and thinning thus weakening the skin..
windhorse

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm

That description sounds like the proper technique, so perhaps I was mistaken.

Here is a recording of my Iya. It is tuned lower and I do not have fardela on the enu.

http://rapidshare.com/files/357181656/STE-002.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/357180260/STE-003.mp3.html

Your Iya is actually tuned little higher than mine, if I can hear correctly, but that doesn't matter for now. The sound has basically the same character, so maybe I just have to play it more and it will break in by the time... Someday I will buy the traditionally tuned bata, as can be seen in Lenguaje del Tambor DVD, because I love both kinds of sounds...
vasikgreif

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Anyways, I'm glad it helped you out, all the way from San Francisco to Czechoslavakia.

Amazing to think about the technology today....
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Jose Marquez » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 pm

when I bought a used set of LP batas, i also noticed a buzz and crazy overtones. Of course they had the cheap factory stock skins. Instead replacing the skins and experimenting with other techniques, I simply sold those suckers and got me a set of Isla batas, and wow what a difference! My Islas had the familair sound i was used to hearing in many great recordings.

BNB, i know you have Isla batas too, do you know the exact kind of skin they use. Is it mule?
Jose Marquez

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Jose Marquez wrote:BNB, i know you have Isla batas too, do you know the exact kind of skin they use. Is it mule?

I don't think it is mule. The skin on my bata is not similar to the different kinds of mule I have on my bongos.
The bata skins are more like the skin on my quinto, which was cow.
bongosnotbombs

Return to Bata Drums