Orisha Song Anthology accompanying tapes

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Orisha Song Anthology accompanying tapes

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 am

Hi, few days ago I got Orisha Song Anthology and in the introduction there's written about accompanying study tapes that should go with it. I'm sure most of the songs could be found in the Lazaro Ros and Abbilona series, but it would be nice to have the original recordings from the tapes. Would any of you have them and would be so kind to share them?

Btw., in the introduction there's a note about Jerry Shilgi's upcoming "separate an much more extensive book on orisha songs" - did he ever finish it?
vasikgreif

Re: Orisha Song Anthology accompanying tapes

Postby guarachon63 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Vasik

Like you, I got the songbook first, and when I finally got the tapes it was a bit of a disappointment - full of so many quick jolting edits without pause I found it hard to follow.

(The references you see in the right hand column each correspond to a recording on the tapes from which the transcription was taken.)

The whole thing wasn't made any easier by the fact that by the time the tapes got to me they were so many generations removed from the originals that the audio was buried deep in a sea of hiss.

Given all that, I found them fairly useless so I eventually lost track of them.

That said, it would be great to put them together again on CD or mp3, even for historical purposes, as I consider the work as sort of a landmark effort in US Afrocuban music studies.

(I put scans of the rumba section on my scribd account.)

If anyone still has good cassette copies, I'd be willing to do the transfer.

Regarding Jerry's upcoming book, I don't think he ever finished it. In my version of the songbook there is a foreward in Spanish that tells that Jerry died in a car accident when 95% of the book (we have) was complete. His friends and collaborators got together to finish it in his memory.

saludos
Barry
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby vasikgreif » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:29 am

Steve Nicodemus let me know yesterday that he made a site where he put the Orisha Rumba Song Anthology including audio, and because he isn't member here, he asked me to post the link here, so here it is - http://home.comcast.net/~steven.nicodemus/site/ .

Another thing is, we both are missing 20 pages of the book, would be curious if someone has them and what they contain...
vasikgreif

Postby windhorse » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey, that's great! Thanks for this really helpful resource!

I've been working on a song project with some ArarĂ  songs.
http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.project?projectId=18625

As soon as I get some main tracks made that I like, anyone can collaborate through the kompoz website by joining in on coro, or adding percussion tracks. It's a really good way to work on your vocal and timing skills.
windhorse

Return to Bata Drums