Photos of Aña Bi Okan

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Photos of Aña Bi Okan

Postby Panama Slim » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:02 am

I wanted to share a few fotos from the first playing of my Aña. This tambor was to Orunmila in Havana.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9d3&type=1

P.S. I boxed them up, flew them down and back with two cardboard boxes taped together.
Didn't need that big crate from my last post on air travel.

Panama Slim
Ona Ire o,
Panama Slim
Panama Slim

Re: Photos of Aña Bi Okan

Postby pcastag » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Nice, do you play and are you jurado? Or as a babalao r u the owner and have a group that plays them? Siempre ha sido mi sueno ser duwno de tambor. It's hard here in Texas though, no real teachers.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Maferefun Aña!
Beautiful hermano, thank you for sharing. Im off to Cuba again in a few weeks, will be looking to bring back my own Aña set.

Here are a few pics of my Padrino's Aña. (amongst the pics are Tito of Ibellis Junior, Fran son of Chaguito, and Lester who is lightyears advanced ahead of his young age)

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby niallgregory » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice photos ! I played with young frank years ago when he only a baby ! Id say he has turned into a great young player .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Panama Slim » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice fotos Abakua!

How did your last trip to Cuba fo for you?
Ona Ire o,
Panama Slim
Panama Slim

Postby Panama Slim » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 pm

@pcastag - Sorry I didn't answer you earlier. I am both Babalawo and Omo Anya. I do not play very well, so I have them played by others more skilled. I just had them played in Washington DC, which was the first time they were played in the United States!

In what part of Texas are you? Aña Bi Okan wants to travel, so I might be in you neck of the woods one day soon. I want to network with many Omo-Anya around the country so that I don't have to fly with a whole gang of folks. I would love to just fly the drums into a city and utilize the local talent.
Ona Ire o,
Panama Slim
Panama Slim

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 am

Panama Slim wrote:Nice fotos Abakua!

How did your last trip to Cuba fo for you?

Gracias Slim! I was there from Nov last year to Jan this year, I am going back again. I leave in a week and will be staying there til April next year. :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Panama Slim wrote:@pcastag - Sorry I didn't answer you earlier. I am both Babalawo and Omo Anya. I do not play very well, so I have them played by others more skilled. I just had them played in Washington DC, which was the first time they were played in the United States!

In what part of Texas are you? Aña Bi Okan wants to travel, so I might be in you neck of the woods one day soon. I want to network with many Omo-Anya around the country so that I don't have to fly with a whole gang of folks. I would love to just fly the drums into a city and utilize the local talent.

Houston, TX., Big city, small community. I play guiros about once every two months, we have to fly in a singer from NY or sometimes Miami or denver because no akpwons here. I studied in Cuba 2x with Alberto Villareal and will probably go back, kids got bigger and more $$$ so I've haven't been able to make a return trip but I plan on going next summer with my son after he graduateds HS, I'll stay in Santo Suarez with alberto probably. I've also taken some lessons with skip and aby , puntilla used to bring his group here quite often back int eh early 90's so we'd hang out with pepe, skip and Aby. Haven't made Omo Ana yet, but someday..... hopefully I'll get skiled enough to get my own set to serve teh community here, it's really expensive to fly in drummers so Tambors rarely happen. I've heard of a set of Fundamento in San Antonio but nobody really seems to know the dueno.
PC
pcastag

Return to Bata Drums