Skins for Bata

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Skins for Bata

Postby bengon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm putting new skins on a set of Isla bata. I've never put new heads on aberincula drums before. What are the appropriate weights and types to use? I'm thinking that cow is probably the best way to go, although I suppose you could use mule on the cha and cow on the enu.
bengon

Re: Skins for Bata

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 am

Goat skin is what is recommended and what I have used.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby bengon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting- I know goat is recommended for pulled drums. I suppose you've found that it's strong enough for drums with metal hardware? What brand of bata do you have goat on?
bengon

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I have both rope pulled and metal , the metal hardware Batas are from Cuba no idea who may have made them and also on some that i have made. Goat sking requieres the pull that is necessary, just be easy on the turns til you get the desired tunning.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby bengon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm

What weight do you use?
bengon

Postby vxla » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I wouldn't mind replacing the heads on my LP bata as the sound of them is far too ringy and the volumes aren't really balanced (the chacha is very loud, compared to the enu). Other sets that I have played on (sets from Cuba) have a more mellow and darker sound.

What supplier do you get them from? I'm assuming I could just soak the heads to produce the flesh hoop, then re-head from there.
vxla

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 am

I get my skins from a friend who brings them from Mali, Africa. Love his prices...He just received a shipment of skins and some killer Djembes also.
Goat skin is the way to go, effortless to play.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Drum Skull Drums always has a decent selection of imported goat etc - http://www.drumskulldrums.com

I also got a very sweet calf skin from them for the enu end of my bata. Worked out pretty well with a goat on the cha cha.

I should add: get the shaved skin if you aren't experienced with shaving goat skins on djembe's. It is kinda tricky razor work that needs to be done while the hair is wet and there is some risk of cutting the soft hide. Those african goats got some tough fur on em :shock: The last order I got also had dung and god knows what else caked into the hair - a great way to contract who knows what.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 am

I have goat skin hairless and with hair for sale. If serious and interested.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby bengon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Does anybody have any advice on thickness of skins? I'm thinking med-thin for the Iya enu, and getting a little thicker as you go to the Itotole and Oconcolo, but I'm not sure what to do for the chas.
bengon

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Bengon , many of the commercial Batas come with cow skin which is thiker than goat. Is up to you.
OLSONGO

Return to Bata Drums