batas - ropping  a bata

A special forum dedicated to the new great web-site by Laurent Lamy: a place where poeple can share knowledge about Cuban and Afro-Cuban percussion. Get into the forum to know more about it!

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 pm

As a batalero told me sometime ago, once the shell of a drum with the shape of a bata as in the Iya, Itotole , and Okonkolo is drilled and metal hardware is placed on it; it stops being a bata.
Reasons being in the materials used in the making of a bata in relation to the deities, as in Chango, Yemaya, etc.
There is no metal used at all in a bata.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby yusef33 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 pm

Olsongo, I understand your message very well, I take that to heart. I have no intentions in disrespecting the culture/religion/ifa. My message was intended to inform the community about what is available for commercial and practice purposes. I would never encourage anyone to utilize a well constructed handmade staved BATA drum made by ISLA PERCUSSIONS or any other mass produced drum made overseas for ceremonial reasons. That would be considered a blasphemous act.
However the tuning lug design is well suited for drummers that are ready to tune and play their drums with no hassles attached. I've known many novice bataleros that complain about laced drums detuning almost immediately as soon as the climate/temperature changes. On the other hand I personally know master bataleros that pull their laced drums one day and their drum will remain tuned for over a year or longer.
It's all dependent on the knowledge and pulling technique that will keep a laced drum tuned for a long period of time. As a matter of fact I am currently working on a carved set of bata drums that I will personally lace while being supervised by my maestro and good friend YAGBE ONILU.
yusef33

Postby blango » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:20 am

Master Yagbe!

Nice to hear from you on the board.

I sure do miss you, my Brother. I hope all is well with you.

Ill call you soon,

Tony
blango

Re: batas - ropping  a bata

Postby rumbandres » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 pm

David.

Soak the skin in ash or cal (not sure of the english for that) and water for a few hours. Hair will come right off.
rumbandres

Re: batas - ropping  a bata

Postby Seneferu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm

I didn't you could rope batas. You did an excellent job.
Seneferu

Previous

Return to Batarumba Dos