exercise for improving speed

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Chelsea » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:38 am

The best of recent Santana would definitely be Supernatural. The hidden track called 'Day of Celebration' features some really nice percussion work by Raul, Karl and drummer Dennis Chambers, with El Negro Hernandez as well. I'm a big fan of Santana, but didn't really like the direction Shaman took. Too poppy, where some of the duos are just painful to listen to.

Hey Fish, I'm off to see Santana next Monday in Brisbane. Managed to snaffle front row centre seats and all! :) How about you?

Chelsea
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby congabebe » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:06 am

I have been listening to Santana since I was in grade school. My brother and sister had an album or two, not sure what caught my interest. I have been fooled for many years thinking of "Santana" as just the guitarist, although he is the main color in the music, it is the ensemble that he puts together that is so special. I have had people tell me they hated Santana that he was too commercial and they went as far as to say he wasn't the greatest guitarist. He is very much a commercial musician, who tries to make a living playing music. I bought a collection of his music thinking it would all be like Moonflower and Abraksas (can't remember spelling) and it was a collection of Greatest hits the cover was mainly in Spanish. I had forgotten, how many pop songs he did with other musicians. I think the thing that strikes me as amazing is he is so versital that he will play anything. Sometimes it is a hit, sometimes it's a flop, but it always gets played. Keep in mind, sometimes if you want to make an album you are at the whim of the corporate music managers/producers that decide if they want to spend money to make an album, it has got to sell and make them money. It is very rare that an artist keeps total control of what they put on an album, there are so many hands in the pot.

Anyway, If you check out the interviews on VH1 (cable station) His dream about making the album music on Supernatural and in Shaman is to bring in the pop market/hip hop market and uplift and guide young people back to music instead of the violence that is in alot of popular music today. I applaud him for his kind spirit and love for bringing music to all kinds of people. You may not like pop, but believe me there will be people that will be open to more different kinds of music because of his albums. I know that is where my love for congas came from is from that music. And it opened up my ear to all types of music especially latin and african music.

Enjoy the concert! I wish I could go!

Peace,
Congabebe
congabebe

Postby Fish » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:52 pm

Chelsea,

Well done on the seats...
I'm on one of the side galleries towards the front.

As a keen didjeriduist I was very pleased to hear that Yothu Yindi were performing also.

It's going to go off.

Fish
Fish

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises