Tumbao Left Hand

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Liverneck » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:27 pm

Tumbao left hand

Alex Acuna keeps his left hand consistent throughout tumbao. I saw him do this and have been doing it ever since. It’s like this…

L L R L L L R R / L L R L L L R R
R R

tough to get those R's and L's to line up
Notice the ‘and’ of count two and the three of the second bar have the left hand keeping the ‘riding’ rhythm going (top part of hand then palm) while the right hand plays two open tones.
Anyone else do this? Does it help with time? Any thoughts?

Edited By Liverneck on 1096565309
Liverneck

Postby rahalak » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:43 pm

Yeah, I've done that at times. Mostly as an exercise in working that weak (left) hand. I'll also keep the heel/toe going while doing the slap, since they don't really interfere.

H T H T H T O O
S O O
or, to match your notation
L L L L L L R R
R R R

Actually my teacher often has us play constant heel/toe with the weak hand while doing different tone/slap/muff combos with the strong hand.

Gotta ask about your name "Liverneck." Must be a good story behind that.
Chris
rahalak

Postby Liverneck » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:27 am

Cool that your using those combos Chris. I think it can be likend to keeping the high hat chucking on drum set.

Heh, the name Liverneck just comes from one of my favorite comedy duo 'The Jerky Boys'. No story other than I laugh my grass off when I listen to them. Sol Rosenberg is one of the charactors, he prank calls a photographer and asks if he could take a naked picture Sol to give to his wife. He said his wife calls him 'Rubberneck and Liverneck' and it would be very sentimental for her. It's just one of those things you got to hear.:p
Liverneck

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises