general question - development of percussion

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby martin » Wed May 30, 2001 2:11 pm

hy,

I'am from the Netherlands so don't blame my English. I am playing a little bit on the congas and bongos, i have had some private lessons on the bongo and now i have lessons (musicschool) on the congas. I have played mostly solo with my teacher and another student.
Next week i will maybey join a latinensemble.
Question: Can somebody tell me wich instruments besides conga and bongo are interesting learning to play on an can somebody give me some other advice how to develop for a beginner like me?

I am anxious to see a reaction
Thank you very much!

Martin Crowcather
(the second name is translated into English)
martin

Postby paulo da salvia » Wed May 30, 2001 3:55 pm

Hi Martin,
welcome to Congaplace!!
It's a little bit difficult to answer to your question 'cause every instrument has something interesting you can learn. It's up to you!! and of course it depends from your personal taste.........
anyway my opinion is that congas is the best and i spend the most of my time on this instrument.
Have you ever played Timbales:cool:?? This is another interesting and important instrument in the cuban music, but it takes a lot of practice and time to be a good 'timbalero'.
If you need some advice about congas i invite you to read the other posts of this forum and you'll find some precious tips for a beginner. But if you have any other specific question, don't exitate to post, someone will reply.........
stay tuned!!
Paulo
paulo da salvia

Postby CongaMan » Thu May 31, 2001 12:00 am

Don't worry Martin... is inevitable.. it happened to anyone of us... sooner or later you will add to your congas and bogos a clave, different size and shape of maracas, shaker and caxixi, plastic - metal - gourd guiro, cowbells, pandeiro, agogo, why not a timbales, may be a surdo, berimbau, batà, tambora, djembe .... you will be fascinated by anything making a sound!

Apart from that, if you have to decide now what to start with you could make your choice thinking of "what instrument i would like to play" and "what instrument I can actually use in the style of music I normally play when my congas don't fit (or togheter with congas and bongo)".
CongaMan
Site Admin

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises