Funk Conga Patterns - Do they exist?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Fish » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:15 am

I have recently joined a funk band (guitar, tenor sax, bass, keyboard, drums, percussion) and have been attempting to play congas. I have found it quite hard to play anything which fits with the drums/bass well. Any suggestions?

Or for any other percussion instrument?

Cheers,

Fish
Fish

Postby congabebe » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:14 pm

Hi Fish,
If you have never played and have limited funds, look at this website for Video's that are recommended that you can take home and get started with. If you have never played any drums or music this will give you some tools. There are some funk patterns written by various conga/percussion players (Richie Garcia, Glen Caruba, Louis Conte) these are found in their books or videos. But to me they won't make since if you don't have a foundation to build off of. When I started I had no tools and the videos helped alot, gave me the confidence to play all types of music. You will hear terms about 'tumbao', and different dance patterns (bolero, chacha, rumba). Don't let that keep you from trying them just because it is not called Funk, they are different patterns that make the sound that you hear other conga players do. If you learn them, you can change them up a bit to fit the music that you are playing with, but if you don't learn them you are can still play but you will hear stuff you want to imitate other players doing and it won't make sense.

Good Luck,
congabebe
:D
congabebe

Postby Simon B » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:01 pm

Hi Fish - there are hundreds of patterns played by hundreds of different percussionists on thousands of different funk records - plenty out there to absorb!

That is my advice - listen to the way congas / percussion is played on funk / jazz-funk records. Since funk itself emerged percussion has been an important part - James Brown often had conga players for live gigs, for example.

Of the top of my head, particular players to check out might be Ralph MacDonald (anything he plays on, esp. Grover Washington Jnr; Terry Santiel (percussionist for Rose Royce), Paulinho de Costa (one of the super-session percussionists in soulo/funk/disco genres).

Remember, two of these guys cannot be said to be traditional 'Latin' percussionists. But in the funk genre not being traditional in the Latin sense is a strength in my book - it is not Latin music and different conventions apply. That is why many (but by no means all) congeros from very traditional Latin playing backgrounds have turned out indifferent performances when playing in funk styles.

Good luck!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Fish » Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:48 am

Thanks for that, guys.

Just in relation to congabebe's post - I am quite new to congas but have been playing drums/classical percussion for a number of years. My collection of funk CD's is limited - I'll have to fix that up. Our band has a rehearsal tomorrow so I'll tell you how it goes.

Thanks again,
Fishio
Fish

Postby congabebe » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:40 am

Hi Fish,
More comments to add on Funk. I have not been playing long. Most of my back ground in music is classical and flute and sax. I love to dance, so I would say that funk and R & B is why I took up congas. I love latin music. But I don't live in a town that breathes with latin influences. Memphis is the home of Elvis and Stax Music. My husband has played in rock bands many years and the band he was in lost their conga player. He was not really a conga player, he was a drummer who loved country and played guitar, cow bell, tamborine and congas when he had no guitar part to contribute. He could keep tempo, but when he left. I bugged the #### out of the band til they agreed to let me try. The drummer in the band loaned me his Cosmic Congas and roto toms and cow bell. I spent about 2 weeks banging on them. Then out of pure frustration, I went and got a video tape and I learned the traditional patterns from videos. It helped me learn how to make the different sounds out of the congas. And I found that the patterns could be used in all sorts of ways to flavor the music. The band I play in has been very supportive, but they have been surprized at my determination to play and learn new things to bring to our ensemble. I don't think they had a clue how much I wanted to play and so I really have surprized them and alot of our friends as well as the fans that have been following the band. It has been about 2 years. I have sat in with a country band, a jazz band, and a solo guitar/vocalist. I can play but I don't have the experience that alot of the other players on this web site, that is why I love it so. I practice to videos, and spend hours playing cds' and playing against them. I have some Books also. But to me funk starts with James Brown, Cameo, Earth Wind and Fire, Marvin Gaye, so I have practiced with them and Santana, as well as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kid Rock, etc. But the traditional patterns on the videos is how I started learning. I don't think I would have been able to get as far as I have if I had not started with them.

Good luck with your band.
Congabebe
congabebe

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:48 am

Hi Fish ..you may want to start listening to the Bass line your bass player is playing and try to emulate the form. that is one way to start . also remember the 2 and 4 for the slap...ex.. goon goon slap goon goon-goon slap. is just one common funk pattern. try it you'll like it! ;) ...At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby Fish » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:01 am

Thanks for the tips, all

I haven't really been able to try them out yet because we're working on one piece at the moment in which I play drums (my friend and I alternate between drums and percussion). I believe we've pretty much gone into recess for the holidays - we're a school based group - but I'm considering organising occasional rehearsals. I'll tell you how it goes...

Thanks again,

Fish
Fish

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises