3 drum combo

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby michaelangelo » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:16 am

IM thinking about getting a set of congas. But im not sure if i want to get a quinto. I was considering getting 2 congas and a tumbadora... what is the advantage of just getting that setup instead ofthe traditional.. quinto. conga. tumba. is a quinto needed for latin jazz, will 2 congas give me a fuller sound? how should i tune them... i saw Giovanni play a few times and he never really use a quinto it's always 2 congas and a tumbadora.. i just saw Wilson Chembo the conqero that plays for Ray Vega he plays 4 the L.p. GALAXY, 2 congas and 2 tumbadoras on remo fiberskin heads. what will the 2nd conga offer me in sound that i will not get with just a quinto?
mucho ache
michaelangelo
michaelangelo

Postby 120decibels » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:44 pm

Michaelangelo,

I think that it's a matter of personal preference, but I like the traditional setup myself. A quinto gives you range that you just can't get out of a bigger drum. I have gone as far as to buy a 9 3/4" gon bops quinto in order to play quinto in rumba. The only problem with that drum is that I have big hands and can't always play everything that I want to on it. However, my 11" quinto makes me very happy for everyday playing.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Rudy » Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:32 am

I use 2 congas and a tumba. I went that route because I felt the conga had more versatility than a quinto. In other words, its size allows it to be tuned high or low whereas the quinto would be limited in how low it could be tuned. I play the Toca Traditionals which I like tuned a little lower anyway. I tune the middle conga about a 3rd above the tumba and the high drum a 4th. Good rule of thumb for the 4th tuning is the first two notes of "Here Comes The Bride." Also, I play them with the tumba on my right and the middle conga on my left. I don't know if I'd call one drummer playing three drums "traditional" as it is a relatively recent configuration, much as some are now playing four and even five (Raul Rekow, for instance.)
Rudy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises