Heads, Fills and Getting Lost - Three questions 4 u. Take your pick!!

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Kracker » Sun Apr 29, 2001 3:03 am

Fellow Rhythm Kings :)

1. Are heads easy to fit yourself

2. (a) Are there any written fills (chops) which I can get my hands on. (b) How long normally would a fill be and where in the bar/bars ie start it on first/second beat etc.

3. How do you stop yourself from getting lost. Sometimes I am concentrating so hard on getting a pattern right, I lose where ONE is in the bar. When I realise this has happened the whole pattern falls apart. Is anybody else like me, or am I rhythmically retarded :(

Additional question I've just thought of - Can anyone suggest some cd titles for a beginners guide to a cross-section of latin/afro-cuban music. I'm looking for cd's that will give me a taste of various styles.

Happy typing :)
Kracker

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2001 8:15 pm

Hi King of Congas;-),

to 1): Not really, but sometimes really worth the trouble.Takes you at least one day of hard work, drying not included. (see earlier posts on that)

to 2) Not getting the ´1´ often means not getting the BASIC pulse , which is either 4 beats to the bar or 2 in alla breve. But - nad I share your problem - it can be cured by a) practicing more and b) practicing less with music minus one tapes or playing along with cds and stuff. The point is (Ithink): Develop your own responsiblilty!!!

ad 3) The drumbassadors of congas can be found, i.e. heard on almost any good Cuban CD which is not fake salsa or worse ... To get an idea, visit http://www.descarga.com ! You can really rely on the stuff which is recommended there. Those guys do a terrific job.
And: Listen and admire the beautiful ENSEMBLE playing of the Cubans. I think one secret is, that the really good boys don´t show off too much, but respond to the other musicians although they are §$%&' great..
Personally, i listen to the AFro-Cuban All-Stars over and over again.....
Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2001 8:50 pm

Hi Kracker, I would like to recommend some CDs:

First, any Mongo Santamaria-cd, even Best of-Compilations. The man is awfully great.
Apart from that:

Wanna know the best compilation of the 40s-60s? It is:
More than Mambo - the introduction to Afro-Cuban Jazz (Verve 2 cd): It covers many different styles and directions and contains great stuff.

In general ,avoid samplers like Best of Cuban Music, ´cause they´re mostly crap, except for one:

Cuba (putamayo label): Very good stuff, reflects diversity of mostly present-day (Afro-)Cuban music (Unfortunately, the last track is poor sound quality, but the rest is fine.
Johnny Blas, King Conga (CuBop): jazzy, with trombones, but Blas is a hard-hitting conguero!

Patato Valdes, Unico y diferente (EFA/Connector): jazzy as well, Patatos famous MELODIC Conga playing

Sierra Maestra, dundunbanza! (World Circuit) : No explicit conga drumming album except for the Arsenio Rodriguez pieces, but to me the greatest living traditional SON GROUP (and what a live experience)

Tito Puente, Top percussion: Simply great, various authentic Cuban styles with the best of the best (at that time and still now)

Son d la Loma, Blind Man´s gift (formerly titled regalo del ciego)(RYKO Latino): Great New York material, outstanding musicians, Armando Sanchez as leader and conguero

Finally, more modern:
Marc Ribot (guitar) y los Cubanos postizos ((Atlantic): At times atmospheric, sometimes outraging, interesting how a jazzy freak like Ribot gets along with so-called prosthetic Cubans...

Of course, ther´s much more out in the shops..
Bye, that was my Sunday :-)
Mike

Postby Yukon conga » Tue May 29, 2001 7:48 am

Hi Kracker
Re: (2) I too would like to get my hands on some written material for fills and solos. I found one short solo on the net by Raul Rekow from an old Santana song, "Wham!".

I also found out that there are some transcriptions of conga solos in back issues of "Latin Percussionist" newsletter. Will be ordering a couple of these soon.

Ross
Yukon conga

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue May 29, 2001 6:22 pm

Hi Yukon conga.
could you send your transcriptions for all the members because i am interesting by it to like the all of us.
Thanks....

(Edited by Laurent Lamy at 7:24 pm on May 29, 2001)
Laurent Lamy

Postby Yukon conga » Wed May 30, 2001 7:17 am

For all of you
Here's the address for the Raul Rekow solo
http://www.netspace.net.au/~pertout/lcongasolo.htm
I was hoping to find the song (Wham!) on Napster, but no such luck.
Enjoy ;-)
Yukon conga

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed May 30, 2001 7:27 am

Thanks yukon,
but what about your transcriptions of conga solos in back issues of "Latin Percussionist" newsletter.
Laurent Lamy

Postby Yukon conga » Thu May 31, 2001 8:57 am

Like I said, I'll be ordering them soon - but haven't yet.
I'll be happy to share when I get 'em.
Ross
Yukon conga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises