Merengue Pattern

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby kinoconga » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:43 am

I have been looking for a comtemporary merengue pattern for a while now.

Could anybody share a full merengue pattern for congas, I'll appreciate it.

The pattern in the CongaPlace don't seem to totally fit with the modern way of playing. Eventhough I admit it brought me closer than I was.

Note: This is a great forum, lets keep it up and support it.

Sincerely/Saludos,

KINOCONGA :)
kinoconga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:53 pm

Hola Kino, hope all is well! Kino, go to the "Congabook" at this site and take a look at the Jíbaro example under the rhythms section. That's the closest pattern in this site, to what the congas normally play in a "contemporary merengue". By the way, "contemporary merengue" is known as Merengue Bomba. This style was popularized by Los Hermanos Rosario, then every other contemporary merengue band followed their style; Grupomania, Elvis Crespo, Limite 21, etc. This style is characterized by being a medium tempo merengue and with the tambora playing a pattern known as "A lo Mako".

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge

Edited By tamboricua on Feb. 26 2003 at 21:45
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:50 pm

Kino, I just did e-mail the basic percussion parts for Merengue Bomba to Congaman. Hopefully, we should have them included in this site soon.

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaMan » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:05 am

Yes I've got it, thanks Jorge.... for those who don't want to wait until the page on the CongaBook is ready ....

Enjoy!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby kinoconga » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:35 am

CongaMan wrote:Yes I've got it, thanks Jorge.... for those who don't want to wait until the page on the CongaBook is ready ....

Enjoy!

Hello Friends:

Thank you Tamboricua Y CongaMan, this is the main reason why this forum is so great, your awesome quick responses to members needs.

Once again, thanks for the "Merengue Bomba" pattern.

Saludos de un Boricua Agradecido,

KINOCONGA
:D
kinoconga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:03 am

Vaya Jorge...great info. I hadn't heard of that before,though I have been kinda out of touch for awhile from the Salsa scene,just getting back into it here in Seattle. So "merengue bomba" is the term. Gracias otra vez....su hermano del Tambor...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:29 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Vaya Jorge...great info. I hadn't heard of that before,though I have been kinda out of touch for awhile from the Salsa scene,just getting back into it here in Seattle. So "merengue bomba" is the term. Gracias otra vez....su hermano del Tambor...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....

Vaya JC timbero mayor, saludos! Yes, the contemporary merengue that you hear this days is known as Merengue Bomba. Very popular in Puerto Rico and New York these days. If you noticed, the congas part has not change at all, the trademark of this style is the pattern played by the tambora known as "A lo Mako".

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises