Questions about exercises

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby turtt » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:09 pm

I had make a plan of daily exercises sesion after read the sugestion of LAURENT LAMY from his site.I gonna spend 3 houers of daily exercises.so can somebody tell me if the plan is correct?
1st. hour : warm up
A. 3x 10 min. of 3 diferent conga warm up paterns by .Arvin Scott from LPMUSIC web.(30 min.)
B.3x 10 min. of diferent left hand exercises from Conga Book (30 min.)
2nd. hour : instrument techniqe
A. 10 min. of Hidalgo's sound ex. for right hand
10 min of Hidalgo's sound ex for left hand
B. 20 min. of rudimientis from Conga Book
C. 20 min. of right hand exercises from Conga Book "tumbao+right hand ex".
3rd. hour :musical practice
A.20 min.of plaing one rythym
B.20 min. of plaing another rythym
C.20 min. of plaing martillo +variations on bongos
I can tell that I am plaing conga from few years but now I decides to orgenaise my plaing beter.Iam living in Poland and in thys part of Europe is hard to find a good teacher so I am using those knowlage from weeb sites.iIf somebody can help me I will be very happy
Andre
turtt

Postby turtt » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:54 pm

so nobody of You great congueros can ansver for my simple questiopns?do I made any mistake?or what.can anybody help me .TUMAN TUCZI
turtt

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:56 pm

So you want answers huh? Excersize is dependant on the amount of time you have. I always tell my new students to try and put in an hour a day. Which is a lot actually. Start with warm ups. Like doing rolls for example. then maybe some rudiments,then go to other hand excersizes. Left hand shuffles, right hand shuffles. then play along time with music and practicing rhythms,all kinds of rhythms,if you know any. videos can only take you so far then it is still up to you to put in the time. I practiced for 6 hours a day for 3 years when I was in high school,that's why I barely graduated,playing hooky to play congas. I had "drum fever" as we call it. Of course if you can find a mentor to help you learn that is the best way, someone who is experienced and qualified to teach on the instrument....Hope this helps...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA......MONGO LIVES! ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Juancao » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:54 pm

Hey Turtt, I think that it is great that you are coming up with a plan to maximize your practice time but one suggestion I would make is to stay flexible within that plan that you have created. Some days you may need more than 20 minutes on a rhythm, that may not be enough time for you to really get it. Have fun while you practice and feel the music
Juancao
Juancao

Postby turtt » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:13 pm

:) thanks for your peply.
now its more undestuded for me .but I'm not shure what you Johnny Conga mean "Left hand shuffles, right hand shuffles"what are the shuffles ?if I can ask you for this allsow.

Juancao you got right and I am staing flexible bat I allways like to have a concept(matrix)so my questions was if the matrix did not have any mistake.I allsow know that the best is to have fun witch it.
TT tur
turtt

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:17 pm

A "shuffle" is the rocking of your hands from the heel of the hand to the tip of the fingers,in a "shuffling" motion. almost like a dying fish "flops" your hand "rocks off of these 2 points of the hand. Ex. is what Los Munequitos begin there guaguanco with a 2 hand "shuffle" When using 2 hands it's like this......

RightLeftRightLeft
Heel Heel tip tip or the opposite if your lefty. but do it both ways if you can. Hope this works for ya.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA ....MONGO LIVES!. ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby turtt » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:02 pm

:D It works!thanks JC :D
turtt

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises