Brand Newbie - Beginning CDs, books, videos

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby KathiConga » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:16 pm

Hey guys. This is my first time on this site, so be gentle with me. I am brand new to the conga scene. I put my hands on them about a year ago, purchased a set, and started playing. Well, I call it playing ;) I am addicted! I also have two small doumbeks.

I need CDs, books, or videos to learn basic rhythm, music theory, and how to read sheet music. I can read simple sheet music, as I tinkered with keyboard a few years ago. I am a self-learner, which really slows me down, but my schedule is so tight that getting formal lessons just won't work for me.

I like CDs best as my laptop is my constant companion. Can anyone help me find something that is understandable and basic?

Thanks.
KathiConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:27 pm

Hi, Welcome! I am quite new myself around here. I personally like a lot Bobby Sanabria's conga instructional videos, he really teaches the basics and fundamentals on the videos, also there are videos by two grand-masters, Changuito and Giovanny Hidalgo, I feel the Changuito's and Giovanni's videos are oriented toward the intermediate to advance level students. Here in the forum we have our resident "Master" Mr. Johnny Conga or JC, he can really guide you in the right direction. Take Care ;)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Michael S » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:29 pm

Welcome KathiConga. This is the best forum I've ever been associated with. Everyone is extremely helpful, respectful, and loaded with experience. Keep visiting. Hardly a day goes by where I don't learn something here.
I started with the Bobby Sanabria video, "Getting Started...". Bobby is a very good instructor and the video is well produced with good camera angles and has a brief play-along segment. It will teach you a little about the care and tuning of the conga and basic hand care and then you will learn the tumbao for one drum and the acaballo.
IMHO, the best instructional tool out there for beginners is "Conga Drumming: A Beginners Guide to Playing With Time" by Alan Dworsky and Betsy Sansby. It is available in many large bookstores or on their website, http://www.dancinghands.com, or used at abe.com. These people have developed their own system of notation, which is easy to read, follow, and printed large so as to be seen from floor level. They even designed the book to sit flat open. They will teach most of the basic Cuban and some Puerto Rican ryhthms. Each lesson builds upon the previous. They will teach basic parts and then add a little at a time to complete the pattern. They will guide you through polyrhythms, teaching you every pattern in clave (or 6/8 bell), two hand independence, and two drum playing. I simply cannot recommend it more highly; it was my bible for the first two years of playing. They have an accompanying video for it which I have not seen but some on this site have and speak well of it. They have other books as well, such as "Hip Grooves For Hand Drums", which will teach contemporary rhythms for non-latin music, "Secrets of The Hand" which will teach soloing strategies, and the highly regarded "Rythmic Vocabulary".
Michael S

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:46 pm

WELCOME...Drum sister...you came to the right place for anything to do with the drum. You have already gotten some great advice here. I will just add the videos by Kalani. He does a great job on video for Conga bongos and jimbe. very thorough and informative. You may also try the videos Conga Joy by Bill Matthews which I have just received. He shows you how to play at least 100 different types of rhythms, mostly African in origen on 1 drum then 2. if you want to learn to read music I have a book that can help you to read in 2 hours and understand what your reading it's called Learn to read Music, it explains the principles involved in the reading of music. it is by Howard Shanet. It was written in 1956 and is a classic book. It helped me thru City College,its' published by Simon and Schuster. Well your on the right path, WELCOME once again to our "family" forum here . At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:50 pm

For Afro-Cuban music try Pexstore.com they have it all. they are in Miami. At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA...MONGO LIVES! ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises