I am New here

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Drummer1 » Thu May 31, 2001 7:25 pm

I would like to kwon is it wise to have a djembe in your percussion set up. and i am new to congas and bongas.
Drummer1

Postby spiff46 » Thu May 31, 2001 7:59 pm

Actually, the guy I take lessons from included a djembe in his set-up with congas and bongos. He actually wore the djembe and used it primarly for two things, its deep base tones and high slaps. Once he dropped the djembe and added a bass drum. I think it really depends on what sounds you are looking for and what setting you are playing in. Unless you are concerned about having your hands slapped by conga police, I would say go for it.
spiff46

Postby CongaMan » Thu May 31, 2001 10:36 pm

Hi Drummer1 and welcome to the forum!
I often use djembe with my congas set and it works great! If I put my djembe inside my conga stand (when I play sitting down) it reaches exactly the same high of the other drum so I can play it as my fourth conga...
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby conga » Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:37 pm

i think any mix of instruments is great, makes new sound.....if you feel something you better just do it, don't pay to much attention to what "has to be" improvise yourself and make your own style....i think is the best teaching way...:-)
conga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises