SONGO SOLOS

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby KingKongas » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:58 am

I've been working on the SONGO rhythm for a percussion class and wanted to know if there is anyone out there who could help me on soloing for this rhythm? Is it like a mambo, guaguanco, or tumbao solo, etc.? I did play some of the alternate songo rhythms from this site and it sounded pretty nice but was wondering about the solo breaks from within these rhythm pattern... where should you "start" the solo?? I have played from the 1/2 measure but was wondering if there was any other "place" in the rhythm that I should start the solo???
KingKongas

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:58 am

If you know where the "Clave" is you know where to solo in Songo like any other Cuban rhythm. It all starts with "Clave", and ends with "Clave". though the Songo is a much busier rhythmic pattern the solo should be "sparse" and "open",not as busy in other words.........At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;) MONGO LIVES!
JohnnyConga

Postby KingKongas » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:11 pm

Thanks for the help JC! But looking at the Songo patterns on this site for example I can tell that some of the "measures" seem to be a regular tumbao and I can handle that since I'm more used to hearing a tumbao. Should the solo be on that measure? You suggested sparse... would that be the same as quick "bursts" like triplets or something? Can you clarify "open" for me? I do understand the not so busy part since I record our classes and can hear alot of "busy" from myself and others in the class! I'll definitely work on that. Thanks for your experience and help!

While I'm on the Songo... the last 3 conga Songo pattern on this site is giving me fits as I'm having trouble getting it down just right. Something is off and I need to figure out what it is. Anyone have the same trouble or have any advice? I really like to concentrate on all the 3 conga patterns in this site.
KingKongas

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:28 pm

R U TALKING about "fills" or outright solo? I haven't checked out the songo rhythms on this site. But I do know how to play a songo on 2 3 4 and 5 drums. Though there may be variations. Songo is a combination of guaguanco,tumbao and repiqando all at once. So where would you really solo? the pattern is so busy. On my Cd we have what we might call one songo tune where I'm playing 4 congas. I take a conga solo but stop playing the songo pattern all together for the solo, I also had a drummer and timbale player on that session so the drum section was pretty full. by "open" I mean letting the solo "breath" don't play as much, space it out. Hope this helps...At you rService..JC JOHNNY CONGA...MONGO LIVES! ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby KingKongas » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:05 pm

I actually understand that a little better now JC. I practice with 2 drums in class but use 3 drums at home and I can definitely see, hear and play the combinations of the guaguanco, tumbao, etc. in the Songo rhtythm. We have several drummers in the class keeping the songo rhythm and then each of us takes turns soloing. I can see how if the songo rhythm doesnt "stop" any solos could make things very busy and not very open. So I can feel that an extended solo is not going to work as well as a "shorter" well timed one. I'm trying to "solo" on one or the other of the measures.
KingKongas

Postby Michael S » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:07 am

That's very interesting JC. In their book, Alan Dworsky and Betsy Sansby describe the close relationship between songo and tumbao and, accordingly, they teach a transition between songo and tumbao and back again. I understand the reason for this now.
I must admit that songo has been one of the hardest patterns for me to learn with clave. I'm ashamed to say I gave up on it. I can play the pattern but I can't sound out clave at the same time. Usually, hearing a song along a particular pattern helps me to understand the pattern, so I purchased some Los Van Van but nothing on the album helped. I understand that they pioneered the pattern; is this correct? I have been inspired to give it another shot.
Michael S

Postby Michael S » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:18 am

Well,I gave it another shot, all day today and I just can't seem to reconcile songo with the clave. I was taught it in tres-dos rhumba clave; is this correct? I can play the rhythm by itself and it sounds alright but when I try to play in clave it never seems to fit. Of all the rhythms I've learned, this is the only one that doesn't seem to mesh with clave. It always sounds awkward and disjointed. Times like these I wish I had a teacher. :(
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:47 am

Los Van Van were mentioned - I also have a little (albums 'Va, Viens et Bouge' and one entitled 'Songo' that might be a compilation) but I'm not overly keen. For my taste there is too much in the sound: I can hear that it is a brave fusion, but the rock elements I find a little over-powering. I am looking to get some songo that sounds more like the 'Songomania' number on Giovanni's 'History of Songo' video - stripped-down, jazzy. Is early Los Van Van like this?

Simon B

p.s. Michael, as far as I am aware songo is more commonly rumba clave, usually 2-3.
Simon B

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:50 am

Re: clave in songo - can be 3-2 rumba, or son clave both ways, too, according to the paticular rhythms.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby KingKongas » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:45 pm

One thing I can say is that once you get comfortable with the Songo rhythm and its MANY variations it is a GREAT rhythm to get into for a long time. I must also say that in our class the timbalero or kit drummer (or some of the more advanced conga drummers) keeps the clave while we play the Songo. When it meshes it really sounds great! I practice the Songo at home along with a recorded clave since I'm not comfortable yet with playing the clave on a foot pedal while playing rhythms at the same time. I hope to one day learn that!!!

JC mentioned stopping playing the Songo while doing a solo and that is what I've been practicing for the last few days. That alone has helped out the entire sound of the rhythm. Knowing when to "stop" the rhythm and solo then pick the rhythm up at the end of the solo. I look at it as being a two measure rhythm at its most basic pattern. One measure seems to be a regular tumbao pattern. The Songo seems to define itself in the second measure as it is written in this site (by Changuito) at the eigth rest. That rest seems to be crucial to the rhythm since without it the rhythm very much sounds like a tumbao.

Was wondering if I should stop playing the tumbao part to solo then pick up on the rhythm??? Would it make any difference?
KingKongas

Postby Michael S » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:01 pm

I try playing songo with clave programmed into my drum machine but I also learn every rhythm by "clucking" clave with my tongue. I believe this is crucial to getting the feel of a rhythm. I just can't get that songo feel. I guess it's one of those things I just have to keep doing over and over and over.... ???
Michael S

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:23 pm

a good reference album for soloing on songo is the batacumbele albums;"Con un poco de songo" or "Live at the univ. of Puerto rico" or "En Aquellos Tiempos"
Hope this helps .Good luck
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby tamboricua » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:26 pm

Hi KingKongas, hope all is well! I strongly recommend that you get Changuito's video, "The History of Songo". In that video he shows step by step the evolution of songo itself. Covering from even the first songo movement created by Blas Egües to more contemporary stuff. Also, he cover many of the tumbadoras patterns created by the late Raúl Cardenas, alias "El Yulo", Iba E! All of this showed with the proper clave direction.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on April 02 2003 at 22:27
tamboricua

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises