Louis Miranda on 'Jungle Fantastique'

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Simon B » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:58 pm

What a conguero Louis Miranda! I'm revisiting the classic Bobby Montez LP 'Jungle Fantastique', and Louis' playing is awesome. I know very little about him, but his phrasing is majestic, echoes of Mongo (naturally), but still really individual.

More the point, are those fiercesome slaps in his solos and flourishes around the tumbou (e.g. on 'Summertime', really opens? To me they sound so strong and - well - closed!

Simon B

p.s. is Bobby Montez still alive?
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:59 pm

Hi Simon...I believe that Bobby just recently passed on. But not sure. He was excited about the rediscovery of his music and I think was planning on doing a new CD. He was in his lat e60's. Luis Miranda is a personal friend of mine also, He has just moved from Miami also to Las Vegas. He is in his 70's and still can hit the drum. His playing with Cal Tjader was his best years , I think....Ray Rodriguez was the other congero with Bobby Montez......At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:12 pm

Hi. Ray Rodriguez as Bobby (La Compania) Rodriguez' brother?
Take Care :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:03 pm

No he is not related, only by the island of Puerto Rico....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises