Which Side? - I am new to this so this might be a stupid question.

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 16, 2001 10:32 pm

I just bought a conga and tumba set and I havent gotten a chance to start any formal lessons yet but which side does each drum go on? In other words does the tumbador go on the right or left hand side of the player? Also, is the tumbao (heel/finger) technique supposed to be played with a certain hand on a certain drum?
Thanks alot for any help.
Daniel

Postby limberic » Sat Jun 16, 2001 11:39 pm

Daniel -

Put the tumba on the side that you lead from, the side that you are strongest and most adept on. Assuming that you are right-handed and lead with your right hand, then the lower drum, the tumba, goes on the right side (this is the same with bongos, the larger drum goes on the side that you are strongest).

If you are setting your drums on the floor, without a stand, you will find it easier if you put the tumba a bit forward of the conga and step a bit between them with your right leg - at any rate, arrange them where it is most comfortable for you to cover each drum.

Best Regards,
Eric
limberic

Postby Kracker » Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:45 pm

Hi Daniel, you might want to buy a book called 'Play Congas Now' by Richie Garcia distributed by Warner Brothers.

It goes through all the basics and is a fantastic beginner guide.
Kracker

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises