right lead or left lead

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby bongomin » Thu May 08, 2003 3:55 pm

hi!
Ive been playing drum kit for some time and owned a set of congas for a few years, but never got passed a 'tapping about' stage.
Recently I have been making an effort to learn the classic conga rhythms on this (excellent)site. It seems to me that it is easier to play 'left handed' even though I am 'right handed' drummer on the kit. This is because the heel/toe movement seems similar to the ride cymbal rythmically which I play with the right hand on a drum kit.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
bongomin

Postby Simon B » Fri May 09, 2003 2:23 pm

Sounds logical. If at some point you prefer to switch to left-hand heel-toe you will at least have developed your right. After getting familiar with basic rhythms I would advise regularly swapping anyway.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Fish » Mon May 12, 2003 1:06 pm

As another kit drummer I can see where you're coming from there. I think it also works the other way though in that if you play heel-toe on you left then that generally allows the right to play the accented notes. I don't know about you but if your left hand slap is as crappy as mine then you don't want anyone to hear it. :D Whatever works for you though.

Fish
Fish

Postby CongaCaja » Wed May 14, 2003 8:46 pm

seems to me that it is easier to play 'left handed' even though I am 'right handed' drummer on the kit. This is because the heel/toe movement seems similar to the ride cymbal rythmically which I play with the right hand on a drum kit

As a long time kit drummer, I understand your point quite well... especially when playing the basic groove on one drum.

However, when you add in more congas, they are frequently (but not always) to the front and/or right of conguero (in decending pitch as moving to right) and thus the right hand plays the melodic line. Now, think of drum kit fills where the right stick plays the toms while the left plays the light "internal" notes of the fill. In this respect, right handed conga playing seems very natural. Well, OK, there are many types of fills...but you get my point, right?

In any case, Simon B's advice about playing los ritmos with both leads is good advice. Fortunately, I'm pretty accustomed to that type of practice from my rudimental drum corps days.

Lastly, the fortunate thing is that congas do not require such elaborate hardware as does a drum kit. Thus moving drums around to whatever configuration work best for you is rather easy. No need to buy extra stands, racks, etc. :)

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on May 15 2003 at 00:47
CongaCaja

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises