Bimaqua - heard of it?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Chelsea » Wed May 21, 2003 11:29 am

Hey gang. My teacher taught me a high part to complement a Mozambique pattern this evening - called 'Bimaqua' (pronounced 'bim-a-kwa'). Have any of you had experience with this one, know some variations, or its origins?

Just curious. :)

Thanks!
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 21, 2003 2:38 pm

What i know is that Pello "El Afrokan " is credited with creating the Mozambique in Cuba, but has Bantu origins from Africa. I have never heard of the parts given names before except for the drums. Who is your teacher and where does he get his information from?..Can you share that with us?...Thank you Chelsea...At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed May 21, 2003 5:00 pm

Hi Chelsea, hope all is well! I believe the proper term is "Jimaguas" that means twins or mellizos in spanish.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby TresGolpes » Wed May 21, 2003 6:09 pm

These are some videos on Mozambique, the Jimaguas should appear there somewhere !

http://www.pulsewave.com/catalog/pr_moz.html

By the way, Pello el Afrokan has the most annoying voice I have ever heard !

I have tried, over the years to get used to it...to no avail...hear any of his albums and you will see what I mean...
TresGolpes

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu May 22, 2003 12:38 am

Pello's voice se llama "ronco". No he wasn't a singer that is for sure but if you ever saw his band and dancing girls you'd know he could put on a show. Actually I have a 3 hour video of Pello before he passed showing the mozambique parts on congas with sticks to one of my buddies that traveled to Cuba and got an "audience" with Pello....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Chelsea » Thu May 22, 2003 1:06 am

Jimagua, thanks tamboricua! That makes sense, as there were two Jimagua parts - 'twins'. I'll post the pattern up later today.

Chelsea :D
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby tamboricua » Thu May 22, 2003 6:35 pm

Chelsea wrote:Jimagua, thanks tamboricua! That makes sense, as there were two Jimagua parts - 'twins'. I'll post the pattern up later today.

Chelsea :D

No problem! Yes, there are two jimagua parts.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises