Less Emphasized Styles of Conga Playing

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Muata » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:46 pm

Hello and Respect to all the Congueros and aspiring Congueros, such as myself. Because of my recent move, I haven't checked out the site in a while, but after catching up, I can't help but to think how awesome this site is for someone wanting to learn how to play the congas.

OK, I'm new to this whole "trying to be a congeuro" scene, but I've started to notice that a lot of the music I grew up listening to used congas, which I'd never paid attention to before. I guess what I've been enjoying is listening to the conga playing in various Motown artists (Marvin Gaye especially), James Brown, Commodores, and other groups from the 70s. What I find interesting is that these styles or patterns are hardly mentioned or discussed. Also, I've only seen one post, many moons ago, that was asking about conga playing in DC Go-Go music, which uses a mix of congitas with a conga and tumba.

While I realize that the conga was popularized in this country by way of Cuba and other Caribbean nations, I was just wondering why these previously mentioned styles are so overshadowed. Now, please don't take my post as a complaint because I can't imagine my life without guaguanco or the 6/8 cowbell; however, I was just wondering about this topic after seeing the documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown, which is a must see by the way, and listening to James Brown's "Super Bad" yesterday.

Thanks in advance for you posts and the positive energy that I get every time I read the posts. Is it me or am I the only one who feels like going and playing after visiting this site?

One Love,
Muata
Muata

Postby Simon B » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:40 pm

I for one adore conga playing in Jazz, Soul, Funk, and Fusion, and listen again and again to those percussionists seminal in these fields. The simplicity and groove of, say, Eddie 'Bongo' Brown, the late Motown house percussionist, is fabulous. Remember that many players in these styles are also demons in more traditional percussive settings. Don Alias is an absolute monster on the fusion records, hear him on the Jaco Pastorius recordings, say. The thing about Latin playing, as far more experienced congueros than I on this site will say, is that it forms the tradition, the basis, the root of conga playing. From there one can face all corners.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:51 am

Muata ...My Bredren....finally you have come home! ;) I got your email and was giving you a chance to get settled. Welcome Home to the Congaforum, great family of Drum Brothers here and getting stronger every day. ;) One Drum, One Love,.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises