Timbales - is it good to use them

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Drummer1 » Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:51 am

is it good to have timbales in your set up?
Drummer1

Postby Bill Losh » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:08 am

It would be better to have a timbale player in your band. Yes, I have timbales in my set up and bongos, dejembe, shakers, foot pedals and all types of other crap that gets in my way. None of it makes me a better congero, and believe it or not, you need to" learn" to play each instrument or you just look like a fool carrying a ton of junk around with you. Maracas are even a wonderful instrument when played by someone who really knows what they are doing, when I am in the Dominican I am amazed by the Maraca players. When I play them, they are little more than time keepers. But every new player wants all the toys and they are fun to have, so knock yourself out. Seriouly, I do use my timbales on about two songs, and sometimes they work better than congas with reggae music. I guess what I want you to do is not make the same mistakes I did when starting out. I thought toys equaled talent. It just made me poor, not only in the pocket book but rhythmicly also. But here's a hot tip if I can't stop you, Matador is still the choice among some of the guys I know who can afford the best and they're cheap.
Bill
Bill Losh

Postby Drummer1 » Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:24 pm

I get what you is saying. hey man i love reggae music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drummer1

Postby DaveHines » Sat Jun 09, 2001 1:15 pm

I agree with Bill....When I first started playing congas, it came natural to me; so I wrongly assumed I could quickly pick up other percussive instruments. All the sudden I had bongos, timbales, djembes, cymbals....etc. I've had to really learn and practice all those things just to do a basic take in the studio. Meanwhile, my conga skills haven't improved as much as I'd like because I was distracted. Find what works for you and perfect it.....then move on.
DaveHines

Postby Drummer1 » Sat Jun 09, 2001 3:48 pm

do you think i sould start with congas first or congas and bongas???
Drummer1

Postby congamyk » Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:01 pm

I agree with Bill..... I was playing sax professionally for 10 years. I wanted to add percussion to get more work. I soon realized I wanted to learn the fundamentals and rudiments for congas. I picked up several Giovanni videos but the VERY best video I have seen yet for instruction is "Show Me the Rythyms for Conga" by Kalani. ฤ bucks and 5 hours later I finally learned the GuaGuanco pattern that nobody could or would show me before on 2 drums. Kalani gets a bad-rap in the same way Kenny G does for sax (wannabe-sell-out), but I think they are both good musicians. I also agree that you should stick with congas for at least 2-3 years BEFORE buying timbales. If you need to expand, buy a set of claves and learn 2-3 and 3-2, and all of the patterns for conga, guaguanco, afro-cuban 6-8 (I hate it when idiots cant play a 6-8 on congas!), bembe, pilon, bolero (melodic ballad), and learn to sing while playing congas. Do these things first BEFORE getting timbales, you will be a well-rounded percussionist and better understand timbale patterns and function. Best wishes to CONGUEROS everywhere!! DESCARGA!!!!!!!!!!! mmiller@bgint.com
congamyk

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Jul 05, 2001 10:34 pm

Do what you want!!!
Laurent Lamy

Postby martin » Fri Jul 06, 2001 5:39 pm

I agree with Laurent,

Have fun! Do what you want, but on the other hand, a few advices are welcom.

see you!
Martin
martin

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:16 pm

It´s funny, I play bongos and learned technique & stuff thoroughly, I am a self-taught conguero (13 years of studying books, listneing to tapes + cds etc.), but I quite agree with you, Martin: Although I know for sure I´m not Tito nor ever will be, timbales-plyaing makes me feelgood, it works with soloes and of course the pattern, but funnily enough I REAALY SWITCH OFF ANY LEARNED PATTERNS or TECHNIQUE while playing! This is quite in contrast to what I do when banging other skins.
I studied trombone (classical and jazz)+piano and came to percusion at the age of 21 only, but timbales playing is really cool if you are able to communicate while soloing (with drumset, piano-solo etc.)

To cut it short: No, I don´t hink you need necessarily decades of scholarship to play the timbales -as long as you are acquainted with the very basic techniques and, even more important, the musical contexts.
Mike

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises