Murga? - Who knows about this rhythm?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Myriam » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:22 am

Does any of you know about Murga from Panama?
Which instruments are played in it originally and what?
Thank you!
Myriam

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:29 pm

Yes la Murga...an early composition by Willie Colon. Who recorded it and used triangle,congas and minor percussion in the rhythm section. A popular Panamanian rhythm. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:55 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Yes la Murga...an early composition by Willie Colon. Who recorded it and used triangle,congas and minor percussion in the rhythm section. A popular Panamanian rhythm. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)

JC, I believe Milton Cardona recorded the percussion on this session with Willie Colón.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Myriam » Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:43 pm

Thank you both!
Yes, leading to my question is in fact that Willie Colon title .... but my question is, what the original Murga rhythm from Panama is...would it be the same as on the record ? There, for the congas, one can hear one two-bar and later on two two-bar variations.
And what instruments were/ are used originally in Murga rhythm from Panama; as I can see on the net, it seems to be still very popular .
Thank you!
Myriam

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:05 pm

Hi Myriam....well u got me there, having never been to Panama or even own any Panamanian music(why not?) in my collection. I couldn't really tell you. This is one that has truly stumped me ??? I would never claim to know it all ;) ..At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:22 pm

Hi. You know besides Willie Colon take on "Murga" there is not really a lot info on it. I have seen Milton Cardona played "La Murga" with sticks on the conga, I guess he gets more volume out the drum that way. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:51 am

RB.....Milton's use of "stick on drum" is for the African approach to playing the rhythm. I have used the same approach on many occasions utilizing different rhythms including Bembe. BTW Milton also learned from my first teacher Hank Fields before he went on with his career. We have been friends since our teen years.......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises