keeping time

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby martin » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:31 am

hi everybody
One of my teachers in Cuba always used to make these weird noises with his mouth when playing solos and quinto variation. I think he did them unconsciously because whenever I asked about them he didn't seem to realise he was doing it.

Does anyone else do this or seen anyone else do it? Does it help to keep time when playing very syncopated - or do you know any other ways to keep better time when playing very syncopated?

martin
martin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:59 pm

Hello Martin...yes a lot of percussionists make some kind of sound or tap their foot for time sake. I too make internal grunting sounds at times in my playing. Sometimes I click clave with my mouth just to keep me n'sync with the music. Tapping or keeping some form of external time will help always....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby clifford » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:21 pm

This is a very common thing that Cubans do to keep time.
This is what I was told when I was in Cuba doing the same thing myself without realizing it. One of the "guys" said that was a sign of a......percussionist.
clifford

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:36 pm

Yes, a lot of latin percussionists have "a base rhythm" that is what they utilize to keep timing or get an idea how the rhythm section is supposed to sound. Some of us do it internal and some externalize it.

Some people do their "version" of what is called "la machaca" (or the groove) of how the combinacion of all percussion instruments should sound. Some do the clave with other "sounds." (I've heard lots of versions. Sometimes you could hear somebodys version when they want to explain a a 'break" or when they want to demostrate something....)

I once played with this conguero that has a habit of when he feels "la machaca" is not there, either in timing or sound", he starts shouting out loud his version of it so the other percussionists will follow.

I guess you could call it a "personalized metronome".

In my case, I keep it internal....

Edited By Raymond on June 06 2003 at 18:39
Raymond

Postby yoni » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:31 am

Hi all,

I also mostly keep it internal but at times find myself sort of groaning or clicking my mouth to clave like Johnny said - that's the first time I heard this clicking even mentioned.

Don't tap my foot much, if at all, and actually seen it slow down beginners who get into too much of that.

I prefer all the expression to come out through the hands.

Edited By yoni on June 13 2003 at 12:33
yoni

Postby congabebe » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:09 pm

Hi,
Just one comment... I have seen some other musicians do this, I believe it is maybe time keeping but also, a truly gifted artist will absorb the music and it comes out of their whole being because they are so deep into it. Some sing cord changes, some sing harmony, some sing along with what they are playing. I have seen violinists, pianoist, bassists, just depends on the artist. It is great to see someone so enveloped in the music, but to me it is almost a spiritual thing becoming one with the music. As a flute player, I get throat noises... sounds creepy but with the full breath of air and the goal is to let the air pass through your whole head... the bigger the sound the more the whole body vibrates. Kinda like a vocalist. The sounds are involuntary but some players use this to add a harmony to what they are doing... I can't control it. It is something that I notice when I really am centered on the music. I wish I had it going with congas. I loose focus too easily. Only time and practice will help.

My 2 cents,
congabebe
congabebe

Postby yalla » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:47 pm

Hi there, I'd like to add my comments too... I agree with Congabebe and all of you, I can also that singing a solo while you are playing helps you very much to make a musical solo, and not only a shower of notes.
I often found myself singing the rhythm I am playing when I'm really deep into it, or tapping my foot when I feel I'm loosing the tempo... ???
---
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:56 pm

Tapping your feet helps you keep time when theirs no clave! Vocalizing is another method of conveying your rhythm to another person. Just my 2 cents! :D
RayBoogie

Postby KingKongas » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:49 am

There's nothing like "un solo de boca" ala Hector Lavoe, Ruben Blades, etc. Eddie Palmieri (although a piano player) is known for making all kinds of sound while playing. I think that learning how to "chant" or sing while playing drums is important in your overall development as a drummer. I have a hard time doing that myself but find myself sorta singing while playing. I was told that "if you can say it... you can play it!" I also saw a video of a percussion group I play with and was shocked to see my foot tapping while I was playing. I was NOT aware that I was even doing that!
KingKongas

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises