Benefits of Learning the Drum Set

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Muata » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:12 am

Hello Everyone! I noticed that many of the congueros here have a background in playing the drumset. Well, I was thinking about getting a set before the year is out and was wondering if learning to play a set will help my conga playing? I thought that it would definitely help with my independence.

What do you guys think ???

One Love,
Muata
Muata

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:59 am

Why not! I believe the more arsenal you have in your pocket, the better you are as a conguero. I believe Giovanni Hidalgo and Richie Flores plays the drumset, and look at their skills.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:52 pm

MUATA...did u get my email?....um drumset,it'
s a good idea but if you really want hand independance learn the 26 rudiments. that is what Gio has perfected with either hand that is.....smile.....now that is independance!.... ;) At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:53 pm

THE thing that Gio has over most drummers is that he is also ampidextrious, something that your Born with.....Oh well.... ??? ............JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:28 am

Hey Johnny, I believe you can train yourself to be ampidextrious with a lot of practice. You probably won't be as good as Giovanni, but who can.

Lead to another question JC. Are all the top congueros ampidextrious?? For example, Mongo, Armando, Patato, Aguabella, Rekow and yourself. :D
RayBoogie

Postby Fish » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:07 am

I think playing the drum kit is a great benefit (and besides it's cool!!!). Don't think that not playing will preclude you from being a good conguero though.

Independence is certainly one benefit but I would say that even more important (at least to me) is the feel a drummer gets after a while of phrases etc. When you start going into polyrhythmic stuff on congas (if you haven't already) it's vital to have that conception of where one phrase ends and the next begins. If you have to count religiously it means you won't be able to expend all your concentration on the actual playing. Also (related to indpendence) is just the ability to coordinate left and right hands into playing rhythms.

What I think you should under no circumstances do is use the drum kit merely as a tool to become a better conguero. If it improves your conga playing that's great but don't view that as the reason for your playing it. Treat the instrument with the respect it deserves and you will be rewarded.

Fish
Fish

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:52 pm

Yo Ray B. one, I am not ampidextrious though my left hand is very good and I can now play both ways, which took years to be able to do. Mongo and the others aren't ampidextrous at all, but you can teach your "weaker" hand/arm to do what the other can do in time. Drum set is very cool to learn if you want to learn with all your limbs for separation,but it's not easy either the older you get so start young. I wish i had learned drum set and then went to congas, oooooooooweeee I would've been even stronger as a drummer. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Mbalax » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:20 am

i think that learning drumset is a good thing, its another way to understand the rythm.
Now with my band im trying to put the drumset and the congas togheter, for example in easy rythms like bolero and slow bossa, i play congas with my left hand, and drumset with rigth in the hihat and foots on bass drum and hihat pedal...
is not hard and is very cool, try it...;)
Dani
Mbalax

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:20 pm

Lead to another question JC. Are all the top congueros ampidextrious?? For example, Mongo, Armando, Patato, Aguabella,

I saw Aguabella play last Saturday (Fillmore Street Jazz Festival, San Francisco...a FREE event!!!...front row... autograph... photo togther... ok, ok, I'll stop "rubbing it in") and it was great despite havoc caused by the pacific coast winds on the sheet music of band (outdoor staged event).

So, to get to your question, Aguabella is not ambidextrous. His left seemed stiffer and less active than the right. Nevertheless, still a great player and musician.

btw, I noticed that often his tumbao was very minimalist.
h s ht oo
The tempos were not prohibitively fast so I don't think that's the reason for dropping notes. So, is this sparse tumbao common with other players or just his style?

chris

Edited By CongaCaja on July 08 2003 at 06:02
CongaCaja

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:41 pm

In my opinion, the beauty of Aguabella's tumbao is its simplicity and its power. Aguabella's tumbao is simpler than most, but it is also more musical than most. When he needs it, his tumbao has drive and power that rivals Mongo (RIP).

I guess it proves the old axiom: "Sometimes, the music is about the spaces where you're not playing."

Zach
120decibels

Postby Raymond » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:14 pm

I have seen two schools on this matter of "dominating" as many percussion instruments as you can.

School number 1

"You should concentrate on something you are very good and not try to diversify sbecause you could lose proficiency in something you perhaps already have"

School Number 2

"You should try to master as many instruments because it will make you a better percussionist and will help you understand the role of the others who might be playing with you and/or help with other instruments and/or give you more gigs"

Independence is something every percussionist should try to achieve. The drumset is the instrument that will "push you" and/or force you into independence. Anyway who could go for the drumset and has the interest...go for it...it will make you a better percussionist. (Personally, I want to get it but my problem is the space and the noise. I know that if I buy it and will play, play, play until I get a handle of it).

Going back to my "schools", that is the reason I agree with School 2.

People who play conga and bongos tend not to take on other instruments besides "minor percussion." (Timbales are out of the question for most of these guys because the "drums are the other way around."). Have to admit there are some people who like an instrument and want to stick to it. That's understandable.

Definitively, playing a drumset will make you a better percussionist. A conguero? Well, a think it will give you better ideas that will help you be a better conguero. (Besides the indepedence there are "notions" that are different for a "trap drummer" than a conguero and viceversa). A think a timbalero will benefit the most for playing a drumset.

My two cent (well looks like 50 cents). Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises