heel toe, and slap

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby ianmc » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:50 pm

Is there a good way to build up your weak hand heel toe and slap while playing.

thanks

Ian
ianmc

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:30 pm

Practice, practice, practice so you do it naturally and effortless. (I practice it everywhere so my hands do not get "rusty." It annoys some people...but again...that's me).

Saludos
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:00 pm

Raymond wrote:Practice, practice, practice so you do it naturally and effortless. (I practice it everywhere so my hands do not get "rusty." It annoys some people...but again...that's me).

Saludos

Yeah, it helps when you have a desk job. My desk is a nice practice surface no doubt.
:)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Chelsea » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:55 pm

Try a one handed tumbao to strengthen your weak hand - heel, toe, slap, toe, heel, toe, tone, tone. Start slowly, that's the important thing, then try to go for five minutes at a comfortable pace. Then up the pace a little, hold for 30 seconds and come back to the comfortable speed. Lather, rise, repeat. :)
Chelsea

Postby Fish » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:34 am

Try this exercise...

h h t h h t
L R R L R R etc.

Then this...

h h t t h t
L R R L R R etc.

After this switch the hands over.
Concentrate on getting each stroke to sound even.

Hope this helps.

Fish
Fish

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:55 pm

I LOVE IT!....all Great advice.....what can I say?......JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby pesaconga » Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:56 pm

One teacher once told me that while doing any kind of excercise and to achive perfect sound balance between both hands (L R), you have strike the conga a little bit harder with your weaker hand. Anyway I love Changuito´s excercise ####, slap,open,muff. Also, it´s an excellent excercise to play normal tumbao with the tumba (or conga, if you play quinto - conga) on your weaker side. And if you have the patience, you can try all the ryhtms you know played this way. This will help you also to develop left hand transition and movility, if you are planning to play with three or four drums.
Good luck and... practice!!!!!! thas the ONLY way.
pesaconga

Postby Simon B » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:16 pm

What you want to do is try this basic funky pattern in which the hands mirror each other - I made it up myself, I'm sure many others have come up with something similar:

h t h t o h t s h t h t o h t s

[r r l l r l l r l l r r l r r l] and repeat!

Then put any variation in you like, e.g. substitute last six strokes for

o o s s o o

[r l r l r l]

Simon B
Simon B

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:53 pm

I'v been doing the following one-handed exercise that my teacher gave me. I take special care not to be slopply with the first slap and making sure that it sounds like the following slaps which aren't preceeded by heel-toe.

h t h t h t h t s s s s s s s s

( 4 pairs of h/t followed 8 slaps )

also, I'm not sure how common this is (or not) for everyone else out there but my teacher emphasizes that "heel" is really a "palm" quite similar to the bass tone. The only difference being the the palm is not centered on the head as is the bass tone. This teaching is consitent with Changuito's "Evolution" video/booklet (the booklet uses the term "palm", not "heel") and I believe it improves sound quality. However, I have observed that when playing at high speeds the palm becomes a heel motion... even for the great players like Changuito.

chris

Edited By CongaCaja on July 08 2003 at 03:01
CongaCaja

Postby kinoconga » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:48 pm

I learned that practicing some basic rhythms left handed, if you are rigth handed, and viceversa for left handers, significantly improve and speed up the learning process of your weak side.

I learned this tip from Alan Dworsky book, "A beginners guide ...". Hope I got Alan last name correct.

Hope it helps,

KinoConga :)
KinoConga
kinoconga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises