Pambiche rythm

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am

Hi everybody,
I am looking the percussion chart for the Pambiche rythm. If anybody have it, can he (or she) send it to me.
Thanks in advance.
Laurent

Edited By Laurent Lamy on Aug. 04 2003 at 09:00
Laurent Lamy

Postby Raymond » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:25 pm

The notation you want is foror conga o tambora?

In merengue, the patterns of the conga normally follow "a caballo' (on a horse) beats with its variations which resemble sort of a "songo" type beat. (Sometimes in "pambiche" patterns of merengue arrangements which are not pambiche completely, the conga could be sort of providing a "complementary" beats like sort of soloing. I do not know if you know this song but there is a song by Olga Tanon named "Sin ti No Soy Nada" in which there are about 8 bars at the beginning of a song with a "pambiche" and the conga sort does 4 continous eight notes in the quinto/conga bars and improvises along those lines).

In pambiche like in the traditional merengue, contrary to the new "maco" style in merengue in which the conga and tambora almost do the same beats, the tambora is the ones that provides the principal beat that gives the "pambiche" feel to the song. When there is no tambora, the conga does practically the same beats at the tambora would do.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:05 pm

Raymond wrote:The notation you want is foror conga o tambora?

Thanks for the answer! I woul'd like the conga and tambora notation!

Salut!

Laurent
Laurent Lamy

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:44 pm

For those who are in the know Pambiche comes from the city of "Palm Beach" in Florida. When the band "La Playa Sextet "would play West Palm Beach it is a "slang term" Pambiche because the Merengue was very popular at the time and the term Pambiche came from that situation,and the rhythm had a bit of a twist to it....Just a little trivia for ya......JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises