Need help getting it right! - I just purchased my first set of congas.

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby TonyLa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:46 am

Wow, what a great site! I just purchased a long awaited set of congas. I have be playing ( percussion) for many years and at close to 50 I want to get the old chops back in shape and to gain a deeper my understanding and enjoyment of playing the congas. I have played the congas on and off since high school but never really had any formal instruction or owned my own set. I have just done what feels and sounds good to me.
Please suggest any materials (books, dvds or videos) that would help me improve my very amature skills. This site is awesome. Thanks to everyone who responds. TonyLa
TonyLa

Postby mco » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:26 am

TonyLa- I picked up the congas after a 25 year drumming hiatus and am also working on getting my chops back, although all my drumming back in the day was with sticks. Two books I have found useful are Richie Garcia's "Congas-The Basics and Beyond", and Pancho Sanchez's "Conga Cookbook". Both books include instructional CDs. For a great overview of all the latin percussion instruments, Ed Uribe's "Afro-Cuban Drumming" is indispensible.
George Stone's classic "Stick Control for Snare Drummers" is quite useful for hand drummers as well.
mco

Postby 120decibels » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:39 pm

TonyLa,

Welcome!

Mco's suggestions are great. You'll be in good shape starting with those books.

I am a big proponent of finding a good teacher. There are some things about feel, technique, musicality and even rhythms that you just can't get from a book or video. If a deep understanding is what you're after, there's no substitute for a good teacher.

Enjoy getting those chops back. Enjoy the new drums. By the way, what kind of drums did you pick up?

Zach
120decibels

Postby muddy323 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:49 pm

Evolution Of The Tumbadores by Changuito with Giovanni is the influential in the development of my style of play. The history of a Tumbadore, the how to develope speed and heel toe exercise was very valuable in my delopment. The exercise on time signature changes was very positive stuff. Plus he is right handed, which made easier to follow and understand than Giovanni video, cause he is left handed. I had watch Giovanni video thru a mirror to understand what his instructions were. Evolution Of The Tumbadore is the video that most influenced my sound. I still watch this video. This was the best teacher i have had thru video's or group lessons. I would like to know the CongaBoard favorites.

Edited by muddy323 on Mar. 12 2003,21:47
muddy323

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:49 pm

I just want to completely agree with the two previous posts.

Zach's suggestion of a locating a good teacher is excellent. I found an outstanding teacher in my area and it truely has made a huge difference in my playing.

Secondly, the Changuito's "Evolution" video that was mentioned is great. It has very clear demonstrations of technique and shows the "must have" rhythms of congas...as well as putting it all some historical context. The booklet of notated rhythms that accompanies the video is quite handy too.

best of luck... chris

Edited By CongaCaja on July 25 2003 at 02:50
CongaCaja

Postby TonyLa » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:13 am

Thanks everyone for your terrific, inforamtive suggestions and encouragement. I purchased a set of Tocas 11 and 11 3/4 39set. I think they sound great and I'm having tons of fun pretending to be Mongo while playing along with "Skins". I can't wait to find some fellow players in the Phoenix area to share tunes, techniques and fun. If your out there please let me know and we'll try to get it together if your interested.
Take care everyone. Keep the positive rhythms alive and a part of all your encounters. Tony
TonyLa

Postby yoni » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:01 pm

Hi all, I must find this "Evolution of the Tumbadore" video, sounds great, thanks muddy. "Conga Virtuoso" with Giovanni is a real good one I've seen.
yoni

Postby muddy323 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:47 am

TonyLa & Yoni...you are welcome....Changuito Video will change your world...cause history is a mofo...we need to get together for a Conga Summit and slap some skins...Las Vegas seems like a good location :p ....i will be there this weekend for a gig with a reggae crew,that Im trying to convert to Hard Latin ???
muddy323

Postby Simon B » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:19 pm

All Gio videos - teaching and performance - are great. For me personally 'Mano a Mano' was the one that really expanded my style and technique. (And unlike 'Conga Virtuoso', he does not try your patience by saying everything in English and then again in Spanish - one or the other with requisite sub-titles please, not the both!)

Simon B
Simon B

Postby CONTAX » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:46 pm

Does anyone know the pricing on skin on skin conga drums?
CONTAX

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:24 pm

For a skin on skin made by Jay will run you a minimum of 500 a drum. Jay has moved his business to upstate New York....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises