proper height of conga - wrists need help!

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby michelebow » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:34 pm

Can anyone comment on the proper height for the drum? I have mine on a stand, and when I lay my hands flat on the drum, my elbows go down below a 90 degree angle. I'm noticing some wrist pain, but that could just be because I'm new.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
michelebow

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:29 pm

Well playing with stands changes the approach to the drums. If you were sitting I would say sit high enough so your arms are at 90 degrees at the elbow,with the top of the drum when you lay ur hands on it. With stands your approach is almost at 45 degrees. Have you heard of medacarpal syndrome?....sometimes that is what happens, muscle fatigue, because the arms are not at the right angle for attack and overwork the arms and muscles. You should be able to be in a relaxed position when playing so these things don't happen....At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:06 pm

In addition to all of the great observations that Johnny had, I'd suggest that you think about two things:

1.) Be very careful about your technique. Wrist pain is never good. Playing congas can really hurt your hands and wrists if you're not using good technique. One of my favorite quotes is, "There's nothing at the edge of the drum but pain!"

2.) If the pain persists, see a doctor. You could end up suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tendonitis, etc. I've seen several great musicians loose their ability to play because of the these maladies. Don't blow if off. Go to the doctor.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:51 pm

Also if you're new to congas and serious about playing I think that it is most important to spend a few minutes stretching the wrists before playing, and to begin your practice with good warm-up techiques or rudiments, rather than going straight in 'hammer and tongs' (plenty of other posts describing these).

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises