Question about Congas

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby downtime » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:38 am

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this post but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Recently I have been really interested in getting into percussion playing, especially congas. My question is that is there actually a pretty decent demand for conga players? I would hate to spend money buying a set, practicing all the time, and not even be able to find someone to jam with. :( Also it kind of seems like you are limited to what you can do with just simply two drums sitting there. Not saying that you are, I'm just new to it. Hopefully I'll be able to get me a set soon and learn something more. :)

Any information would be great. Thanks guys.
downtime

Postby HappySlapper » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:06 pm

I'm new here too. It's an excellent forum - though I've been lurking until now - hi everyone! ;-)
Bit of a strange question though. I would say there's a demand out there for GOOD musicians, including conga players - but it depends where you live.
I would advise you to find a teacher if possible. And practice practice practice.

One conga's enough to start - but 2 is probably ideal and you'd no doubt want to move onto 3 if and when you really get into it - I'm yearning for a third conga after just over 18 months playing.
There's my 2 (euro) cents...
See ya
Steve
Near Paris

:)
HappySlapper

Postby 120decibels » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:47 pm

Welcome to both of you!!!

Steve, you hit the nail on the head. Demand for conga players varies with location and skill. If you are a good musician, you can generally find a place to play. However, if the market is saturated with good conga players, then it might be more difficult.

Everything will take time. I was an experienced drum set player/percussionist/teacher when I got serious about congas a few years ago. I am just now struggling my way into the Latin scene here in Washington D.C. The rock scene was easy to find and play in. However, the Latin scene in D.C. is much smaller, much more insestuous, and much more difficult to break in to.

Hook up with a good teacher. Practice. Talk to people. Sit in with bands when you can. Above all, don't get discouraged.

Good luck!

Zach
120decibels

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:23 pm

Although I do not live in the US, how "easy" or difficult it will depend on the musical genre you want to get. (I did live once in the Orlando area and did play in some latin bands).

Based on what you are saying about yourself, the most difficult genres in your case will be the "tropical/latin jazz" genres. Just like is mentioned before by 120 decibels, depending on your city, the scene or scenes could be very small and tough to break into because of a few dependable players with good connections might get most gigs, and the the "stereotypes" of the genre. Last but not least your command of the latin genres has to be very good to play with latin bands. In regards to the "stereotypes", sorry to say but is difficult to break in as a percussionist of a latin bands when you are not latino. You see, in latin bands most likely you will play only congas during the entire gig and the playing is very demanding on you since the conga is the rhythm foundation of latin genres like salsa and merengue. It is wrongly believe that if you are not latino there is no way you could play salsa or merengue tumbaos with "command." For your information, for the non initiated, playing a salsa gig in congas will kill you.

If you want to get into the other non latin genres, and you want to better your chances of playing and to call yourself a "complete percussionist", you need to dominate basics "tumbaos" or rhythm patterns of the congas. In most non latin genres if you are the percussionists, the congas will be probably you most used instrument. Therefore, the investment on the congas might not pay off immediately but will eventually if you keep it up! If not, is good therapy for you!

In regards to "free jamming", they are available everywhere. Is just you "connecting" with the right people! Personally, I recommend, once you dominate the instrument or its basics, to get into some of those "free jammings." You will not believe how much you will learn by watching, listening and hanging around people that dominate the instrument. Be careful though, see first what is expected on those who jams before you dare to participate to see if you are up to what they are expecting.

Another important thing about playing an instrument is to befriend "your competition." Referral is very important in playing. Having a friend who can recommend you or give you a chance in a gig he/she cannot do is great opportunity to break in a scene!.

Keep us informed on what you decide....

Edited By Raymond on Oct. 06 2003 at 16:41
Raymond

Postby kmmurrdog » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:11 am

Unlike many of the others here, I love the congas and yearn to play out but have no interest in playing in the latin scene. I've played in an acoustic duo mainly (myself and a guitarist/singer), and that is a lot of fun. I also recently sat in with a groove/funk band and had a blast. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy latin music and latin percussion, but that isn't my area.

You can go any number of ways with this insturment, so don't be afraid to give it a shot. Two drums is fun, three are awesome, and four are almost overwhelming. I'm hardly good enough for two drums, but I sure have been having a good time sitting behind four lately.

Good luck.
kmmurrdog

Postby muddy323 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:43 pm

Network is the key...In Los Angeles there allways room for a conga player...the hip hopper like lots of conga slaps..it remind them of gun fire lol...the Neo soul crews are big on conga open notes...the Hard rock/latin bands looking for big sound percussionist to help them sound like Santana lol...the Reggae Rasta One Drop crews they like anything that stay in the Drop...In Los Angeles we have the Recycler news paper, where plenty of bands,crews,musician list there needs for players to jam, future gigs, partys!....Find the network and dont be scared to play the way you feel and hear the groove...the conga is not for latin music only...the drum is very versatile.

Edited By muddy323 on Oct. 07 2003 at 22:49
muddy323

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises