THE FOUNDATION OF DRUMMING

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby zaragemca » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:57 pm

Hi, to all brothers of drumming,this is an original article which have been in several Drum-Forums for around three years,'The Foundation of Drumming'.The foundation of drumming practice is based on the establishing the coordination between the brain-modules(right and left),and the (arms,feet,heels,etc),psychomotor connection which need to be reinforced with the proper exercise a good feedback ans using all the joints(shoulders,writs,elbows,waits,fingers,heels,etc).The three elements participating in the movement of the body are nerves,mucles,and ligaments(bone fuction is to fortify the body)together with asystem to relax,if all is set up properly(synchronized) at one point should provide a faster development with less efforts.For any brother which would like to make something exposed in this article more clear,focused,background,etc.,it is open.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 18 2003 at 17:12
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:56 pm

zaragemca wrote:Hi, to all brothers of drumming,this is an original article which have been in several Drum-Forums for around three years,'The Foundation of Drumming'.The foundation of drumming practice is based on the establishing the coordination between the brain-modules(right and left),and the (arms,feet,heels,etc),psychomotor connection which need to be reinforced with the proper exercise a good feedback ans using all the joints(shoulders,writs,elbows,waits,fingers,heels,etc).The three elements participating in the movement of the body are nerves,mucles,and ligaments(bone fuction is to fortify the body)together with asystem to relax,if all is set up properly(synchronized) at one point should provide a faster development with less efforts.For any brother which would like to make something exposed in this article more clear,focused,background,etc.,it is open.

So basically the way I understand what you wrote is that "drumming" is a skill just like "hitting a baseball", the more you pratice the better you get. Definetely some people will be better at it than others but we all can get better with practice. ;)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on Nov. 18 2003 at 17:59
RitmoBoricua

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:30 pm

Well I'm not arguing your understanding, however, I would say what zaragemca is stating is that to tone and utilize all parts associated would be advantageous for a drummer, not necessarily it makes you "a better drummer" but it makes you more able to, without injury. Its like being toned for a specific task and having your whole body to include the brain to function. Then there is the brain to body function, that lets you move into being creative?
I dunno, but it makes you think eh?
T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:38 am

RitmoBoricua,you got the idea,but it also point out(having all the fuctional information) to set up the adequate training(and this is in all the fields),for the better use of the body's psychomotor,and coordination resources(like position,technique,elevation,angle),becouse the core of the article was focused on drum-Set players(even when all percussionists including Conga players could use this principals.Tonio is clear in his own words.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 19 2003 at 00:54
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:15 pm

Zaragemca,

What you are mentioning is something we take for granted. They are technicalities that some do naturally and some do not. Nevertheless, they are true. Whomever is aware of them could "reach their peak."

Believe it or not, I tend to work on the "psychology" and "physiology" that is involved when trying to master something new or when playing. Sometimes you need to be aware of those factors because they could be the reason why are doing something wrong or why are you not performing as you should. Besides musical, there is is a physiological and psycological part to drumming. It is very important. Not been aware of them could limit your potential...

You went "deep" on us....

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on Nov. 21 2003 at 15:20
Raymond

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:35 pm

You are absolutely in the right track,it is like in sport when technical and physiological resources are used to tailor training,and in some cases to find out what might be the reason a percussionnist could be stuck in an specific stage without be able of moving out of it.All yours brother.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 21 2003 at 15:36
zaragemca

Postby rumbaman » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:08 pm

The foundation to drumming is desire to learn just like everything else . It takes dedication and persistency . My instructor has a new student she is 13 yrs old . I spoke to him before her first class and he expressed how can a 13 yr old girl be able to bring out the notes on a drum . I told him not to discurage her , to his surprise she was good for her expirience . We can not put barriers on students that are eager to learn . Who is to say that someone with downs syndrom cannot learn , to their potential . Even someone that has a physical restriction can fill their potential . Yes i believe intrisic abilities have alot to do with it but , i think determination sets a musician aside . :D
rumbaman

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:21 pm

Yes,I do agree,the concept of the Foundation of Drumming is not about restriction,but the other way around to find and better use of the capabilities and the resources which the human body already have to obtain you goals in training.
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:22 pm

There' a guy can't remember his name, but on of his hands was amputated, and he still plays bongos with a stick tapped to him. Talk about dedication.!!
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:51 pm

Yes,you always going to have those extreme cases,but that is telling me he has some sensory disfuction for which it is out of case to teach sophisticated patterns.Also I know than in many cases those types of activities have been established as 'therapy',to keep the person busy on something and the self esteem of the injured-handicapped person.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 22 2003 at 17:58
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises