TOP EXPERIENCE

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby zaragemca » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:05 pm

Last Saturday I was invited(called) to perform with an Ethiopian Band which came to Houston for an especial engagement,I have to recognize this unique experience with this music and this musicians.The music was a unique blending of the multi-color,skillfull vocalization which is known in the Indian Music and the brain braking syncopated pattern on 6/8 time signature.The dynamics interaction between the blending Bass-guitar-Keyboard and the singer,was something never witnessed by me in any Salsa,Rock,or Jazz Band before,...they have a short syncopated musical phrases in a constant response of the lyrics from the singer and interimposing other time signature within the 6/8 main pattern.The crowd did stay 'till 4.00 A.M. dancing to the music,both the dancers and musicians absolutelly enjoyed the interacton which i had with this Ethiopian Band,and to me it was a top experience.They told me that after the show they have to fly to East Africa for another engagement.Brothers my respect to this Ethiopian band,one of my greatest experience.

Edited By zaragemca on Dec. 02 2003 at 19:21
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:51 am

Z,
Thanks for sharing you experience. So is it their traditional music or ?
T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:45 pm

It was their popular music for dancing,and I observed that some of the dancers were singing along,so they were playing cover songs,or the crowd already knew the Band's 'roster'.
zaragemca

Postby zaragemca » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:48 pm

For the record,I just found out with the organizers of this performance that the singer was Neway Debebe(considered the voice of Silk) and the musicians,The Roha Band.
zaragemca

Postby zaragemca » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:32 pm

Another invitation to performe with another singer-keyboardist and a good female Ethiopian singer for the New year Engagement,as I said before it was great also.
zaragemca

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:51 pm

There are several thousand Ethiopian refugees and their descendants here in Israel, from the former Jewish communities of Addis Ababa and Gondar province in Ethiopia, several bands and dance groups here, some of whom I've had the pleasure of performing with. Nice, grooving music, lots of it in 6/8.
yoni

Postby zaragemca » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:55 pm

Yes some of it are 6/8,and some of it are 5/4 time signature.
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises