Slaps - on big drums with thick skins

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby muddy323 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:51 pm

slave = the main drum (quinto,snare drum) or anything that used more than the other. Its an electrical term or one dominated by some influence.
muddy323

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:51 pm

Hi all,

I find my highest pitched, sharpest sounding slaps come not with power but with the right focus or snap, on any drum. I once read in this forum that some players can make high, cracking slaps without raising their hands more than an inch or two off the drum, and I know this is true.

Also the open slap, without the other hand holding the drum, can sound real high and sharp consistently without much power at all - just practice the snap of it, kind of like the cracking of a whip.

All the "weight", snap or focus is concentrated in the very ends of the fingers only. I think this "effortless" way of slapping is worth the practice, because after a while it really works!

It's true that the slap usually comes easier on a higher-pitched drum like a quinto, but as Conuno wrote, practicing on a low drum will make the slap come even easier on a high one. Even on a low drum (not "dead", though) you can get a pretty high-pitched slap with the right focus.

Edited By yoni on 1075492529
yoni

Postby mangorockfish » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:39 am

Do all of you guys do your slaps, whether open or closed, on the very edge of the drum? My teacher makes his up on the head. I'm trying to do mine on the edge like all the books and videos show. However, I can get a pretty good one up on the head like he does and it is easy. :D
mangorockfish

Postby Raymond » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:19 pm

Mangorockfish,

You should not be trying to force your "normal" slap by hitting the closest to the edge. (Hitting the edge in my opinon is trying to get your fingers the closest to the edge. The sound you get sounds like a slap because of the sharp should but is not). It is tempting but don't get use to it. Once you have develop your "regular slap", hitting the edge of the drum should be for emphasis or effect, if ever! (Lots of injuries that way)

Slaps, like abanicos in timbale, are very personal. In my experiene you should try to work on the slap by trying to hit to the closest you can towards center of the head. In my case, because of my big hands, what have worked the best is to hit in a little more than half of the hand in the drum. (Actually the edge of the drum is like in the "last quarter" portion of my hand). Development of your wrist, so you have force or strength to get the slap is important too!

My recommendation is to continue to try it without forcing it. Find your spot and develop it.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:13 am

Raymond, Thanks Bro. It is a lot more comfortable doing it on the head as opposed to the edge, but I thought that was probably the proper technique. I've been playing drumkit for about 40 yrs and have learned a lot of bad habits. With the congas, I wanted to learn them correctly. Thanks again. :laugh:
mangorockfish

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:02 am

Yo MangoRF....you should try and pick up the video by KALANI...it is very precise about all aspects of playing conga and approaches.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby mangorockfish » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:44 pm

Johnny Conga wrote:Yo MangoRF....you should try and pick up the video by KALANI...it is very precise about all aspects of playing conga and approaches.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):

Hey John, Where can I pick this bad-boy up at? I checked the COnga Store here and it wasn't listed and I know my local music store doesn't have it either, so HELP.
Thanks,

:laugh:
mangorockfish

Postby mangorockfish » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:23 pm

JC, I found the Kalani video Africn Beats. Is that it or is it the other one African Drumming?
Thanks
mangorockfish

Postby valerie » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:40 am

I find that THAT specific technique works very well for achieving a good slap; However, i've been scolded by teachers for playing that way. You lose a lot of time by bringing your hand all the way to the edge of the drum and cupping it. I personally like this technique. It works for me.
valerie

Postby valerie » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:41 am

I find that THAT specific technique works very well for achieving a good slap; However, i've been scolded by teachers for playing that way. You lose a lot of time by bringing your hand all the way to the edge of the drum and cupping it. I personally like this technique. It works for me.
valerie

Postby congastu » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:05 am

I think its important to learn a variety of techniques for creating a slap. Different rhythms can require very different movements and being reliant on one type of stroke might affect your fluency. Just relax and let your hands dance across the drums- eventually,with practise and refinement, the right slap for the rhythm you are playing will find you.
:D
congastu

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:53 am

KALANI has a few out- How to play the Conga, How to play the Bongo, African Beats. They are all good. As far as slaps go that is a technique in itself. No pain no gain when it comes to slapping. Try getting a slap on the tumbadora first then work up to the conga. It's harder to slap on the tumbadora than the conga, or quinto. At your Service... JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises