lp heads

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby ramzes » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:58 pm

hi everyone, i am new both in this forum and druming.
my problem is in my slap tone. i got this two conga drums long time ago and recently i decided to start learn to play them , but i just can't get good slap tone. since thay haven't been played for a long time (couple of years), is it posible that heads gone bad?? they probably aren't tuned right but i read every article on web how to tune them and i did that part good, i think :) anyway i would like to know do i need new heads or not?

thaks

P.S.sory about my english
ramzes

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:05 am

hello and welcome ramzes,

Regarding tuning...

Here is a discussion at this site that might be helpful

http://www.congaplace.com/cgi-bin....iddle+c

An external site...

http://www.lpmusic.com/Play_Like_A_Pro/Tech_Support/tuningconga.html

Regarding slap quality... well, if you've playing two years and if your slap tone is not very good, then perhaps there is a technique problem. It is difficult to help with technique over the internet, but here's some good advice/coaching that I have received:
1) good wrist velocity is needed
2) "heel" of the hand should be at (or slightly below) drum's edge
3) the tips of the fingers are the only contact on the head
4) don't arch the hand too much

More than worrying about the drum or tips above, I would try to find a good teacher.

best of luck...

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1077658464
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:17 pm

Ramzes,

Some tuning and/or heads will give you better slaps than others. (At least in my experiencee)...

Natural heads sitting for two years might have gone "deaf." (That is the term used in Spanish here in Puerto Rico when heads that have lost their quality or brightness for playing and sound "muffled". It happens when you leave them tuned for too long and/or use/weather, etc, etc).

If you feel the problem is the heads, get some new one(s). Be aware that normally natural heads need a "break in" until they reach their "peak sound." Therefore, they might not sound great at the beginning but better than a "deaf" head. The break in is achieved after the has been when played, tuned, untuned, played, etc, for some period...well, you will notice it...but it takes playing and using the conga/bongo, etc, etc.

There are several threads on this forum dealing with slaps. I think there is a recent one...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Fish » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:54 pm

Hmmm.... are they LP Aspires by any chance? Because I've played on Aspires now and again and find it very hard to get a decent slap happening - and that was with pretty new heads too. Not that I'm by any means a master but you would think that companies should make their "student" ranges as easy as possible to play.
Fish

Postby ramzes » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:16 pm

ok thanks everyone for this answers seems like i wasn't quite
precise. i got this drums (which are natal drums with LP heads)
couple years ago, but i started druming couple monts ago, i wanted to sell them but when i saw this whole comunity i thought whay not to try to learn them, but my problem is in this "mufled" tone like raymond said. i would probably need neww heads.
and one more thing, what do you think about this natal drums because i didn't see that anyone speak about them?
thanks
ramzes

Postby Bongo Boy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:13 am

Have never heard of 'natal' drums, but if you're just starting to play after a long break and were never great at slaps, the LAST place I'd look for the problem is with the heads. Now, you may not have the heads tuned, but slaps are just plain hard, IMO. After quite some time I STILL have trouble getting good control over the slap so that it doesn't sound overwhelming and 'forced'. To get that 'pop' took a LONG time, and it still isn't consistent for me.

I would not look at the heads as the problem. I'd look to how much practice you've put in. If it's less than a bajillion hours, then the problem is in your hands! Just my opinion.
Bongo Boy

Postby ramzes » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:51 pm

yes it was me, but with some help i got it right now, and i found website from this manufacturer, if u are interested

http://www.nataldrums.co.uk/index2.htm
ramzes

Postby Michelleski » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:37 pm

I can vouch for Natal congas. Its all i've ever played and I got them on recommendation of my teacher in 1994, from Alan Sharp - founder of Natal - who drove to my house personnally to deliver them . I have a pair of Natal fibreglass congas - quinto and conga, with original heads on both I think (but see later). The slap thing is a pain in the butt to begin with but it comes eventually - this is more of a learning curve thing than anything else and I still dont get it bang on every singly time. I remember sitting in lessons with Hamish Orr at Drumtech in London, week after week, sounding rubbish! I couldnt slap for toffee - and I dont remember when it changed.

I was recently thinking of upgrading my congas thinking I had bought them 10 years ago when I started learning - this was brought on earlier this week by witnessing Thomas Dyani Akiru recording congas for the forthcoming Incognito album). However a couple of noteable percussionists and the guy in Pro Percussion in London said no way should I ditch a pair of original Natals. So they're staying!

...I do however have a vague recollection that my teacher suggested I change the head on my Quinto. I still have a non-LP head on the Quinto, but I remember the palava of taking the old head off, and not being able to fit the replacement, until I turned it over and filled it with water for the night (the skin only)! So it could be you need a new head... (I really cant remember why it was suggested I ditch mine) - but dont think your Natals are beginners congas!

Michelle.

Edited By Michelleski on 1079280564
Michelleski

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises