Keeping Loose - keeping hands loose

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby otto » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:45 pm

Hello all
I have posted once before and got a great deal of good info on my tunning congas post.
As I have perviously stated I am a beginner have been practicing for about a month and a half. I had surgery on my right shoulder to repair rotator cuff and mulitiple tears. I thought that this would be a big problem for since I am right handed. But I am finding that its my left wrist where I am having trouble. I have been following the "mano secreta" method of playing and I try to keep my wrists loose, but after a few days practice (about 45min to 1hr a day) my left wrist get tight and it becomes hard to play.
Is this normal will it improve with time. are there any excerises that I can do to help the situation.
thank for your help.
Otto
otto

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:46 pm

Don't worry. You should improve. Your injury could be making it harder but is normal to feel tightness, sore hands and an ocassional callus until you develop strength. Is very important you identify that the pain/tightness is not because of your injury. If is the injury....stay away for awhile!

Keep it up.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:40 pm

One suggestion is to use a mirror while practicing. Often when there is difference in feel (pain vs. no pain) or sound between the two hands, it is because the motion is not the same.

Also, some strokes might come more naturally with one hand than the other. For example, when I started learning technique, my left (weaker) hand had a better open tone than my right, but my right (stronger) hand had a better slap than the left. Everyone might be different depending on experiences/development before playing the congas.

Generally, when one hand is weaker at a particular skill, I practice that skill twice as much time as the stronger hand. This seemed to work well not only when congas but in my stick playing days of drum corps.

In addition, the weaker hand may need more development before it can have the stamina to remain loose as long as the strong hand.

best of luck with the practicing!

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1076442139
CongaCaja

Postby franc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:10 am

raymond, conga caja and jorge, any of you guys can tell me where i can get the book'' mano secreta""?? also can one of you explain what is the book about in a few words?? saludos from puerto rico where is there mucha salsa and tambor!! my best!!! franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby otto » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:42 pm

Thanks Raymond, CongaCaja

The advise was great. I am using a mirror it helps.
I have also acquired The Kalani tapes on Conga. The "All about congas" and "Show me the rhythms for congas" they are great and I am doing the exercises they are helping.
I also have some old mambo music from the 1950's with strong clave which is great for keeping time when playing along.
I am looking to acquire a metronome does anybody have any suggestions.
Thanks All
Otto
otto

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:53 pm

The best suggestion???? Play along with records...fast, slow with variations, with breaks...anything! Mambo, salsa, merengue, new, old, ..Listen, play, listen and pay attention to the different "tumbaos", imitate, etc, etc..

That is better than a metronome. The record will help you keep pace with the "rest" of the percussion or rhythm section that is important specially in latin music.....that is your metronome...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby yoni » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:30 pm

I totally agree with Raymond - playing along with CDs is better than with a metronome and lots more fun. Playing along with radio is also good - my old man used to advise me to do this - because you don't know what's coming next and it helps you get used to the unexpected.

I think CongaCaja also gave great advise as usual - using a mirror is real helpful in checking your hand position and so on.

As for keeping loose, stretching hands, wrists and arms is very helpful, before and after playing.

Edited By yoni on 1078691698
yoni

Postby Mojuba66 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Good suggestion!
Well done Raymond:)
Mojuba66

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises