thoughts..

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby kmmurrdog » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:56 pm

A few random thoughts after reading a few posts...

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the more elder folks here cold post some recordings of rythyms. Then some of us newbies could try and emulate and record if possible, repost, and get critiqued? That sounds pretty cool to me. I guess that is what videos and lessons are for, but videos don't listen and there aren't many congueros to provide instruction in southern maryland.

Also, do the majority of you play your heal-tap with your left hand? I play them with my right. I was told that many drum set players are the same way. The heal tap is my time keeper, so naturally it wants to be my right hand, the same one I use on the high hat. I guess ideally both hands would be equal, but I'm not there, and probably never will be.

I am also happy to say that within the last two months my slaps have come around and I can finally get quality slaps without destroying my hands. I use the three finger (middle-ring-pinky) method mostly. I'm not sure how I finally made it happen. Stroke of luck I guess.

Since I grew up on set, it infulences a lot of what I do. I find myself using this alot, and was wondering what people think of it. My notation may be off, so forgive me. And forgive me for all of my HT's being on my right hand.

H O H T S T O [O]
R L R R L L R L

peace.
kmmurrdog

Postby congastu » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:27 pm

Hi Kmmurrdog,
I wish I knew my way around computers well enough to do that!
As for the rhythm you posted, what kind of groove are you playing to, and at what sort of tempo?
In the mean time heres a rhythm which is really good for gettings heel-toes and slaps going on either hand. [I think its a songo variant]
[O].S[HT]S[OO]HT[S]T[T]T[O]O
R L RR L RR LL R L R L R L
RH- tumba , LH- conga [or vice versa, in your case!]
peace and love, stu
congastu

Postby Tonio » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 pm

I'll take you up on that. Only prob is that we can only upload 500k? which isn't much even in MP3 format. Well I guess if the conversion is a low resolution, it would help getting a longer track up. But it would sound like ka ka! LOL

So I'm guessing you're right handed, but do the heel toe with right hand? I won't judge on that, it may or may not hinder your abilities depending on the rythm played. However I know a conguero that is right handed, and does the h-t with left and right hand depending on what pattern is being played. So that may be a thing to pursue-ambidextriousness. So any guesses to whom it might be?

back to the subject... So how long have you been playing, any lessons at all? So you've learned by ear so far huh? There are plenty of books, videos etc, but I understand without a critique its hard to move along. So what does your band members say?

I listened to the track you posted on another thead. I can see why you played (recorded) the way you did. Its like you are playing the tumbao backwards, may have to do with your right hand doing the h-t's?

I'll try to get some tracks up this weekend for ya.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1080947090
Tonio

Postby James M » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:02 pm

http://www.congaplace.com/musician/yoni/index.php
James M

Postby Raymond » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:05 pm

If I am understanding the terms of the notations, the HT is done with the left hand by the right handed and viceversa for the left handed. Is it a good time keeper? Yes, it is. (Compare it with the martillo of the bongo and they complement each and even sound alike. The HT and the slap are similiar to the bongo's martillo first two notes)

The basic sound in "Cuban son" rhythms are the same. (There is a variation than in stead of doing 2 open hits you vary by doing 1 one open hit). Other rhythms or genres require other "tumbaos" or patterns.

Slaps? Well, they are like "abanicos" (rim shots) in timbales, they are very personal. Hitting close to the edge to get a sharp slap? Never recommended. (I've seen some non latin music percussionists that they "cheat" and hit close to the edge but it will limit you).

Sorry I do not have the technology to put examples, etc? My recommendation is to listen to records and watch others play. I am aware that congas are hard to pick up in recordings and some times you have to see what they are doing because if not you might do something that sounds right but technically is not correct. Try to pick up the sound of the conga in recordings. By the way, that is another skill you could develop. At the beginning when I picked up playing congas. I imitated sounds but was not following the right techniques. I was eventually corrected. What was I doing wrong? The HT with my left hand. I am constantly practicing that movement since is in my "weak" left hand and to keep it loose).

Lots of videos of percussionists with latin and non latin bands in actual playing that will help. Check the Allman Brothers Band latest DVD with Marc Quinones and check him out. How he incorporates latin patterns in the conga into rock is great. Check he does not cheat in the slaps or the HT.

BTW, if you could accomplish doing the HT with both hands is great!

My two cents!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby congastu » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:34 pm

Heres some more rhythms [these have got a samba feel] where both hands do heel toes
1: [O]HT[O]O[HT]O[O]HT[O]O[HT]O
R LL R L RR L R LL R L RR L
2: OHTSHTHTOHTSHTHT [one conga]
RLL R LL RRLRRL RR LL
Hope u enjoy- stu
congastu

Postby congastu » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:06 pm

Im on one today!
Heres a groove I came up with for 6/8 compositions [again, heel-toes on both hands with LH- conga, RH- tumba]. Sometimes I wear a bracelet or something like on the Rh and accentuate the heel stroke to give the effect of a chekere.
HTTHTOHTTHOO
LR L RL RLR LR LR
Hope this makes sense-
congastu

Postby Tonio » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:08 am

Well, I have 3 MP3 files... that I could'nt upload due to my misunderstanding?
error of unauthorized file type?
hmm.

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:16 am

Two polyrhythm studies:
The first is a simple 3 against 2 pattern, though not strictly a polyrhythm in that in the middle, both rhythms are played on the segundo and so the voices are no longer seperate and distinct. The next one is a 3 against 5 polyrhythm: X..X.xX..Xx.X.. Notice the resemblence to the jazz swing rhythm. The only difference is the second pickup stroke comes an 8th note early.

$=slap flam
%=left and right hands
s=segundo
t=tumba
<span style='font-family:Courier'>s|B..OO.$.OO..|
t|O.O.......O.|
% LRL % LRL

s|H..T..H..T..H..|T..H..T..H..T..|
t|0....S....O....|S....O....S....|</span>

Edited By James M on 1081056267
James M

Postby Simon B » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:32 pm

Check he does not cheat in the slaps

Raymond, do you mean by this 'popping' the slaps, i.e. bringing the hand down on a muted drum without full contact?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Tonio » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:31 am

OK kmmurrdog, since you asked I assume you can record and upload for critique.

We'll start simple and go from there. 1st one a simple cha cha cha/mambo, 4 bars each.

T

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -mambo.zip
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:43 am

Here's another. Bomba in the Mi Tierra style.

T

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... tierra.zip
Tonio

Postby gilbert » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:00 pm

congastu wrote:Hi Kmmurrdog,
I wish I knew my way around computers well enough to do that!
As for the rhythm you posted, what kind of groove are you playing to, and at what sort of tempo?
In the mean time heres a rhythm which is really good for gettings heel-toes and slaps going on either hand. [I think its a songo variant]
[O].S[HT]S[OO]HT[S]T[T]T[O]O
R L RR L RR LL R L R L R L
RH- tumba , LH- conga [or vice versa, in your case!]
peace and love, stu

hey
can u explain plz where's the eight's notes and the quarter notes?
gilbert

Postby congastu » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:16 pm

hi Gilbert
I learnt this as a one bar pattern played in conjunction with the songo kit groove so the dot represents a 16th note rest. Conventionally youd probably see it as a two bar phrase so the dot equals an 8th note. Apart from the rest however, the pattern is continuous.
hope this helps
Stu
congastu

Postby gilbert » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:10 pm

10ks congastu
gilbert

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises