Elbows In

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Simon B » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:23 pm

This and a post on double strokes are based on my conversations with a Cuban congero from Havana whom I met, jammed with, and received advice from today. I just want to run some of his methods past people on the forum and see to what extent they correspond with their own. I found them fairly convincing and am going to focus on them in my playing.

I asked him to watch me play and evaluate my style. I played a couple of simple patterns and then trotted out some rudiments. He said the only thing I might want to consider was my elbow position. I have been playing with my elbows each two or three inches away from my body in that pronounced V-shape that I think you see quite a few players adopt. He said it was his belief that the most relaxed and efficient position comes from elbows resting against the sides of the chest, as though one were sitting at a drum set. After practice tonight like this - everything feeling more organic - I am inclined to agree with him and am going to take this up.

What do you think?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby gilbert » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:17 am

Simon B wrote:This and a post on double strokes are based on my conversations with a Cuban congero from Havana whom I met, jammed with, and received advice from today. I just want to run some of his methods past people on the forum and see to what extent they correspond with their own. I found them fairly convincing and am going to focus on them in my playing.

I asked him to watch me play and evaluate my style. I played a couple of simple patterns and then trotted out some rudiments. He said the only thing I might want to consider was my elbow position. I have been playing with my elbows each two or three inches away from my body in that pronounced V-shape that I think you see quite a few players adopt. He said it was his belief that the most relaxed and efficient position comes from elbows resting against the sides of the chest, as though one were sitting at a drum set. After practice tonight like this - everything feeling more organic - I am inclined to agree with him and am going to take this up.

What do you think?

Simon B

well i got the same remark concerning elbow position from also a cuban conguero from havana but i couldnt change my habit i'm used to play with my arms in a V Shape
gilbert

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:56 pm

The relaxed position is also promoted by my teacher, Mike Spiro (who spent lots of time in cuba studying with Changuito and others), as well.

In addition, he thinks it is important to place your chair/seat at a level that allows a straight line from elbow through wrist and hand. In other words, when the hand is resting on the head of the drum there should not be any angles in the wrist.

Lastly, he plays 90% from the wrist motion...using arm motion for only the loudest strokes and when tempo allows

I really believe in this style/technique. It required patience to "start from the beginning", but, in the past year, it has improved my sound quality many times over.

buena suerte!
CongaCaja

Postby zaragemca » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:04 pm

It is consisten with the ergonomics position to facilitate playing in a relax position,as far as you place yourself from the instrument,or as much as your elevate the arms unnecessarily,or setting it away from the body, the muscles and ligaments have to fight more the weight of the bones,taking speed and relaxation out.Your brother, Zaragemca.

Edited By zaragemca on 1082743952
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:14 pm

All good points. I think that the cubanos push the elbows being close to the body, and current day(pop or otherwise) has more of a triangle setting.
Its rather hard to have your elbows near your side when playing 3 or more drums, and forklorico style the drummer usually plays only one tumadora no?
I use both styles depending on what type of band, music, tune
etc.

T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:27 pm

Playing one or more percussion instruments at the same time would depend on what folkloric styles we are talking about and the level of skills of the player.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises