Bullerengue Rhythm

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Percuta Minuta » Tue May 04, 2004 8:01 am

Jelou jelou to everybody...
I have to learn some patterns of a rhythm called 'Bullerengue', and I don't any information about it. If somebody could help me...
It is from Colombia and it is the only thing I Know.
Thank's
Percuta Minuta

Postby Ivan » Thu May 06, 2004 8:36 pm

Percuta,

Here is some information I found on Bullerengue:

This dance has African roots, evident in the sound of the drums, the clapping of the hands, and the singing by the participants. The dance is a variation of the CUMBIA and it is performed exclusively by women. It symbolizes the passage from puberty and virginity to fertility and motherhood. Whereas the rhythms and movements of the CUMBIA are spirited, those of the BULLERENGUE are slow and meaningful, attesting to the fact that the pregnant women are unable to dance the faster rhythms of the CUMBIA. As the dancers appear, one observes the soft and sensuous hip motions, combined with the shyness of adolescence, represented by the wide swings of the skirts. The symbolism of femininity, fertility, childbirth and motherhood are all intertwined in the choreography of this dance. BULLERENGUES are very popular in the State of Bolivar with its largely African tradition.

Are you playing this on Congas or Bombo (de Sur America) or both?

Paz,

Ivan

???
Ivan

Postby Percuta Minuta » Sun May 09, 2004 11:22 am

What i'm going to try is to play it with drums and conga (two people) So i've been listenning to some songs and try to make some patterns.
I will tell you when i'll try.
Where are you from Ivan?
Percuta Minuta

Postby Ivan » Mon May 10, 2004 2:43 pm

Sounds fun, you should look up some popular Columbian Cumbia tunes... When I play the more Andian style Cumbias, I play both the Bombo and conga. One hand playing a type of cascara for cumbia and the other hand holding eighth notes on the conga.

I was Born in Arica, Chile and moved to Seattle when I was about 7.

... and you?

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby tamboricua » Mon May 10, 2004 4:57 pm

Guest wrote:This dance has African roots, evident in the sound of the drums, the clapping of the hands, and the singing by the participants.

Hi Congaforum,

Hope all is well! Yes, in Ghana West Africa they celebrate this same ritual and is referred to as Tokoe.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon May 10, 2004 5:28 pm

Hello Ivan ...I will be at TOST tonight with the Michael Shrieve band. We hit at ten o'clock. Tost is located in the Freemont district on N36th st. next to Suite G. The name TOST is in the window of the club. Hope to meet you there tonight.......paz ...JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Ivan » Mon May 10, 2004 6:56 pm

Hey Johnny,

I'll see you there!

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby mangorockfish » Tue May 11, 2004 11:45 am

Man-o-man, Michael Shrieve. First time I saw him was in the Woodstock movie playing for Santana. What a monster. Would love to be able to see you two guys together, but it is a little too far from Arkansas. :D
mangorockfish

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue May 11, 2004 5:51 pm

Well Ivan came to the gig last night so I'll let him tell you about the band. Ivan will also start his study with me as of today, also. Michael Shrieve is planning to go into the studio to record, which I will be a participant. I am looking forward to it......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Wed May 12, 2004 3:42 am

So do tell Ivan...

JC, you da man!! Playin' with Mike Shrieve.

T
Tonio

Postby Ivan » Wed May 12, 2004 2:56 pm

####... The show was great!!! It humbled me to see such great talent... The music was slammin', I walked in thinking I was going to see a latin jazz set up.
To my surprise, there was two drummers, Mr. Shreive himself and this young kid playing a CRAZY set up of his own. The rest of the set up was Bass, Guitar, Trumpet and the one and only, JC on percussion.

I brought a friend with me and we were talking about how we felt that the experience between Mr. Shreive and JC alone 'held down the fort'. I mean you could feel the energy right when you walked in...

I am not doing it justice by discribing this in my own words, but to say the least... the show was great in everyway imaginable...

If you are in Seattle go check'em out and see if you can describe your experience! :p
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises