Mambo or marcha Fills - looking for basic fills

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby otto » Mon May 10, 2004 7:40 pm

Hello All

I was hoping somebody could give me a couple of basic fills for mambo and marchs tumbaos, I want to further my timing practice and would like to through in some fills to practice comming back to the rhythm and doing the fills I'm not looking for any fancy for now just something to put in my excerises. I have tried making up my own but its not quite working out.

Again I thank you all in advance for all you who share your knowledge.

"Finding the groove is a beautiful thing"

Otto
otto

Postby mangorockfish » Tue May 11, 2004 11:40 am

Otto, I can't help you in the fill department, but was hoping someone could so I could get the info also from your post. Maybe someone will come through for us.
mangorockfish

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue May 11, 2004 5:47 pm

The best example for fills would be to listen to Mongo Santamaria in his Cal Tjader days. Mongo does more filling up than anybody. Plus you need to understand the theory behind how to fill and when to fill. To be able to "hear the Holes" in the music. Mongo is the best example of this.....JC JOHNNYCONGA....I recommend the album LATINO by Cal Tjader, and you will hear what I mean.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby percomat » Wed May 12, 2004 9:42 am

hey jc, thanks for a great tip, i was now hoping you could give me some more albumtips, there are so many out there (it can easily get very expencive), and i`m looking for albums where the conguero does a good job, so i can get into the some-kind of evalution of congaplaying?
percomat

Postby Ivan » Wed May 12, 2004 3:08 pm

Percomat,
You opened the flood gates now be prepared to swim hard and fast... :)
Yesterday I had my first lesson with JC and let me tell you... He has every album imaginable and to top it all off, it's all on vinyl!

JC is a great resource and a great teacher. I hope he is able to fit his recommendatoins in one post for you...
:D

Quedate... Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed May 12, 2004 5:40 pm

My recommendation as far as conga players on recording, would be anything by Mongo, Patato when he was with Herbie Mann back in the 60's>Herbie Mann-"Latin Mann" album features Patato-Willie Bobo, Dave Pike on vibes. The "Sonia Libre" album with the GREAT Bill Fitch. Who recorded this album at the tender age of 21 with Cal Tjader. Of course Mr. Hard Hands Ray Baretto-"Afro-Jaws" album with Eddie "LockJaw" Davis. and anything else Ray has recorded back in the 60's and 70's. He is on about 1,000 albums. So Ray has a lot of material out there he is on. Candido Camero 'Conga Soul" on the defunct Roulette label, considered to be the "Best" album he ever recorded, Lalo Shifrin on piano. Start there.....I will post from time to time anybody interested in obscure music. As Ivan was witness to, I have a pretty good collection, he was ready to spend the night and just listen to everything I had, it was slightly "overkill", so I sent him home... :D .....en paz...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby RayBoogie » Wed May 12, 2004 10:33 pm

I would also recommend "LOS RITMOS CALIENTE" and "BLACK ORCHID" by Cal Tjader. Great learning material to throw in fills in the basic tumbao. I get all my chops from Mongo. ACHE to all!!
RayBoogie

Postby Tonio » Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 am

Otto, check out descarga kinda pricey but got mucho Mambo
stuff and some :http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/artists?dPI92BQW;S;29

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Thu May 13, 2004 12:02 am

JC do you know teh album with Mongo and Ray soloing back to back?
I think it was one of those live a the Village gate recordings?

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Thu May 13, 2004 4:30 am

Tonio,

Barreto and Mongo going at it can be found in the Fania All Stars' "Salsa" movie sountrack. Fania Records. Yes, a movie. That is a movie that shows the Fania All Stars concerts at Yankee Stadium and Puerto Rico in 1974. I know is in VHS, not sure in DVD.

Saludos
Raymond

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu May 13, 2004 6:50 am

LIVE AT YANKEE STADIUM... I was there that night in 1974, and witnessed "Congo Bongo" when Ray and Mongo "duked it out" on congas. It was a great night of music until La Lupe came out and started tearing off her blouse and the fans came out of the stands and rushed the stage that was on second base....we're talking about a few thousand people maybe, and the groundskeepers of the stadium closed the show .....and the band played on......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby percomat » Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 pm

thanks a lot jc, i will count my money and order..
percomat

Postby Tonio » Thu May 13, 2004 8:47 pm

Raymond wrote:Tonio,

Barreto and Mongo going at it can be found in the Fania All Stars' "Salsa" movie sountrack. Fania Records. Yes, a movie. That is a movie that shows the Fania All Stars concerts at Yankee Stadium and Puerto Rico in 1974. I know is in VHS, not sure in DVD.

Saludos

Raymond- a movie? wow I didn't know that.

Thanks

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Fri May 14, 2004 3:04 am

Tonio,

The Fania All Stars, the stars of the most popular salsa record company in the 70s, made three movies or documentaries. The movies were actually shots of two albums and then had their own soundtrack and the other one is a concert in Africa. The first one, Our Latin Thing, is actually the filming of their breakthrough "Live at Cheetah albums, Vol 1 and 2, and other concerts they had. The second movie was 'Salsa' that actually filmed the "Live at Yankee Stadium" concert that JC talks about and the concert Fania had shortly after opening the then new Roberto Clemente Coliseum in Puerto Rico in 1974. Also, they had the soundtrack that had the Congo Bongo (Barreto/Mongo) as well as other songs from them and other artists like El Gran Combo in the concerts. The third Fania movie was Live at Africa that documented their concert in Zaire in the late 70s.

Some people might get dissapointed with the movies because the style is documentary with music. Sometimes they have the whole song in the concert or they might cut with "insights." Nevertheless, they are good material who want to study the history of the genre, salsa, and some of its biggest player on its golden era.

They are out in VHS. Do not think they are in DVD. They should.

Saludos

Edited By Raymond on 1084504012
Raymond

Postby Tonio » Fri May 14, 2004 10:54 pm

Thanks,JC and Raymond!!
I did have the LP with Congo Bongo on it, but lost it somewhere.

It was really hard to get good music for me in the 70's since I was in Japan. Luckily Japanese love Latin genre in general. I just got whatever was offered. My first exposure to congas was a co. called Fuji Tone, which they used mahogany wood in cuban shape. They sounded rather good, but I did'nt really have a teacher.

I will see if I can locate a copy of the movie.
T
Tonio

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises