WAR percussionist

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:19 am

If anyone gets a chance check out the percussionist touring with WAR. His name is Marcos Reyes. He's fun to watch and has awesome technique. I've been familiar with his playing for many years now and have only seen him get better and better. I consider him one of the many excellent but unrecognized congero/percussionists out there.
Mezcaldrum

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Is this the original group WAR with Lee Oskar? Papa Dee was the origianl perc. but he passed a few years ago. I jam with Lee at times here in Seattle,is he touring with them again?....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:33 pm

Hey there Johnny. Lonnie Jordan is the only surviving member. Lee Oskar left the group about ten years ago I think and went solo. The original manager is still working with Lonnie who is a founding member of the group, even before Eric Burdon joined the group. Marcos became their percussionist about 4 to 5 years ago. I played with him back when I was learning this thing of ours and caught their act with him in it at the House of Blues in Vegas. They've been touring around the world and making some TV appearances as well. Marcos has previously played with Malo, the Estrada brothers and some studio stuff. He's also studied with Luis Conte many years back.
Mezcaldrum

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:50 pm

wow, so Lonnie is the only one left eh? I liked some of the stuff, need to check out the new cat.

Thanks Mezcaldrum!

T
Tonio

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises