Yanvalou - Where is this rhythm from?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby zaragemca » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:13 pm

Yes a reminder Laurent,the 6/8 and 4/4 matric terms are imposed by the western musicians for better understanding of the percussion-patterns,it is not and African-feature,also as I said at one point those culture,Arara-Ewe,Fon,etc,were influence as a crossover culturization,in Dahome,and third,the used of sticks for drumming,is part of the Bantu-Percussion Patterns also.Yambu time signature started as 2/4,like the Son,( which is the metric pattern of the 'Salidor' the one which started the groove),later was switched to 4/4.The point if that even some congeros didn't understand the root of the Yambu,even Mongo Santamaria in his recording,would call,Francisco Aguabella,Silvestre Mendez,Julito Collazo,etc., which have more knowlege of the subject'at that time'.

Edited By zaragemca on 1093019714
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:33 pm

Help me to understand this...R U saying Mongo didn't understand YAMBU????.....He called upon his friends to record with him not to have them "show him" how to play it.....you are talking about a man I knew personally for over 30 years, there is not much you can tell me about him....If anyone had the knowledge of the time it was ALL of them, together...en Paz...JC JOHNNY CONGA....... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:00 pm

zaragemca wrote:Of course Laurent there is a version,and as I said from the begining with a few stuff which was added,is it part of the root of what is called Yambu(in Cuba),Yanvalou(in the haitian's (french influenced language).There is not Chekere,bells,or Guiro instruments in the original patterns.Anything with bells,or Chekere have been incorporated from the Yorubas.

What is your source to say that ?

ZunZun ???
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:18 pm

zaragemca wrote:There is not Chekere,bells,or Guiro instruments in the original patterns.Anything with bells,or Chekere have been incorporated from the Yorubas.

In the most basic form of Yanvalou Haitian version known by some as "Yanvalou Franc", the ensemble does include a bell known as an Ogan. Also an "asson" (gourd beaded shaker) is ocassionaly included.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby zaragemca » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:43 pm

Saludos,in response to brother JC,first,it is not that Mongo couldn't play Yambu,what I said and it is clear is that at that time the percussionist which knew more in relation to those rhythms were the one I did mention before which were Bata-players from Cuba,have you ever seen the interview of Mongo Santamaria,in relation to Chango recording.Get the 'Mongo Anthology CD', and READ the writing on it.Mongo was a good congero,bongocero(not question about it), but he was not a Yambu player neither a Bata player in Cuba...In response to Laurent,my source to say that are my ancestor and the rumberos which were playing in the house where I was living when I was growing up as child.The response to Tamboricua,again,all the bells and Chekere incorporated to any other African Pattern have been assimilated from the Yorubas,you could even see now African bands playing with a Drum-Set,that doesn't mean that they created a Drum-Set, that is incorporated.Just by the name Yanvalou-Franc,it is telling me that this is a French version.

Edited By zaragemca on 1093368683
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises