Guaguanco - Songs w/Guaguanco Rhythm

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby mangorockfish » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:36 pm

Can you cats give me some examples of pop, rock-n-roll, r&b, etc that uses a guaguanco rhythm, or is it mainly used for Cuban stuff?
mangorockfish

Postby Simon B » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:59 pm

For these styles to reflect the rumba clave and whole guaganco feel is in my opinion rare. However, you quite frequently hear percussionists play isolated guaganco patterns in non-Latin styles, e.g. cascara on a cow-bell or cymbal, and especially guaganco-derived conga patterns.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Simon B » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:08 pm

In fact guaganco-derived conga rhythms are one of the staple ways of playing congas to R&B, funk, and especially jazz fusion, and can be heard on various recordings - try listening to Don Alias on one of Jaco Pastorius' albums. But the use of an isolated rhythm does not shift such a tune to an authentic guaganco feel in any case that I know of. It is in the meeting of various patterns that the guaganco feel is created.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:06 am

Thanks Simon, I'm still really new at this and was hoping that I wasn't missing alot of common songs that guaguanco could be used in. :cool:
mangorockfish

Postby Isaac » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:33 am

When I play party dance music I always look for ways to slip in
a little guaguanco for a few bars. I do this with Marvin Gaye's
"Whats Goin On?" and also surprisingly it fits nicely into
Abba's "Dancing Queen" . This keeps the songs fresh and
prevents boredom for myself and the dancers as well.

~ ISAAC
Isaac

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:13 am

Isaac, could you tell me which guaguanco pattern you use on "What's Going On" ? I've been trying to learn that for awhile now and supposedly have the correct rhythm written down, but it doesn't seem to work. Could be my execution of it.
Thanks
mangorockfish

Postby akdom » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Hi Mango

There is something that I think is important to mention here... Guaganco is the main rhythm for Rumba. So listen to Rumba.
The clave is different from other claves.
You can use just the 4 basic strokes that make the melody (one on the conga, two on the quinto and one on the conga again) this is hard to explain without sound here.
The strokes are open tones and leave a lot of space for improvisation. You should find a way to adapt it to what you want. Remember the firat stroke is off beat (which gives a nice pulse).
And yes, guaganco is normally played only for rumba. But for example, Santana uses it a lot and it sounds just great.
Rumba is usually played with 2 or 3 different drummers who play different patterns. The whole thing is the guaganco (just like AWest African rhythms, the guaganco played traditionally is a polyrhythm). And usually the quinto improvises all the way through.

Hope this will help.

See ya

Big B
akdom

Postby Isaac » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:47 pm

Try not to impose a guanguanco feel on a song. You may be able to
fit in only in one section of a given song. For Marvin Gaye's
"Whats Goin On" listen to the chorus sing " brother, brother , brother...."
and use that as a cue - coinciding with the open tone side of the guaguanco.
Thinking melodically, not just "patterns" is the key.
ISAAC
Isaac

Postby Mr. Furley » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Hello all,

What is the basic "tres-golpes" pattern? How much flexibility does the person playing the "tres-golpes" have?

Also,
Can anyone recommend a "guaguanco-type" pattern for a single conga?

Edited By Mr. Furley on 1093366154
Mr. Furley

Postby Simon B » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:35 pm

Tres Golpes is the pattern for the middle drum in guaganco. It is very distinctive and is identical to many two-drum combined guaganco patterns (apart from the fact that one or two strokes are put on the tumba). Here is one transcription:

r-S-S-B-r-S-B-S O-r-S-O-r-S-B-S

r - rest
S - closed slap
B- bass
O - open

Of course there are a number of slight variations, and if you listen to the folkloric rumba recordings there is lots of improvisation around this model (although perhaps not as much as there is with the bass drum patterns). The thing about rumba is that different groups from different places in Cuba have their own style. Some people make a big distinction between Havana and Matanzas rumba as well. There is a fabulous rumba rhythm breakdown available on a link from one of Tambourica's postings on this site - really informative. Have a look for it.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby zaragemca » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:53 pm

Mr.Furley,the Guaguanco pattern for a single Conga is the one performed by the 'salidor', and the 'Quinto',but I observed one rumbero long time... ago which have its way to do the 'tres golpes', with one conga.

Edited By zaragemca on 1093460074
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises