Soloing - initiating the solo

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby stlouieray » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:40 pm

I post this topic and message for anyone to respond.

I have some difficulties, beginning a solo, even when I've been playing the songs effectively. My situation is this: I could be playing along with the band, and switching rhythms as they are needed. Then, before you know it, the band leader looks over at me, and nods his head "OK my brother . . . it's your turn" (and I fu_ _ing freeze-up)

I freeze-up, and feel like I don't know how to start it, or where to begin. I mean this stuff effects me to the point where I can't even play a simple tumbao rhythm, like the one I was groovin to about a min. before he asked me to solo.

I'm sure it's a mental block, because I can play many different types of rhythms, and my timing is usually right where it needs to be. I think what happens is, the music stops, I lose my feeling because of that, and then, the whole room is staring at me with no music playing, and inside I'm freakin out.

There must be some sound advice out there as how others are able to block-out that loud silence of no music, and begin their solo workouts.

H E L P!!

Ray :(
stlouieray

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:16 pm

I do not know if you are playing afrocuban rhythms, but in the case of afrocuban, the best "point of origin" for a solon could be the clave. Playing the first beats of the bar of the clave or the first bar will make you get into it.

Getting comfortable about soloing is "mental"...you need to feel comfortable that the beats of the solo you are going to do are going to be right with the music you are playing. (IN latin rhythms gets complicated because you have to be on clave all the time, if not, is going to sound weird or you are going to feel weird).

Also, it helps having the confidence that you are going to have the proficiency of doing a solo with the rhythm or speed of the rhythm you are playing along. (Example: doing a solo in clave rumba at fast speed is not easy....).

If the music stops and you need to continuing soloing, you neeed to have the proficiency to keep your solo to the rhythm of the song you are playing...

Not easy but it can be done. For the experienced is second nature... That's what you need to achieve. you need to practice it and feel comfortable and confident about yourself...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby stlouieray » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm

I truly appreciate your response Raymond. I think the nature of my difficulty too, is that I could be playing a smooth Jazz tune, and I do remind myself of the song that I'm playing to (and coming out of) as I go into the solo. Lot's of times it feels like the most suitable thing to play, during the solo, is something soft and slow. The whole time I'm thinking "Now, how do I put this piece into a solo, without it sounding out of place, or weird".

Anyway, I appreciate the response.

Ray
stlouieray

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:45 pm

Ray,

I have said this before but I am a big Bruce Lee fan. He was a believer that you should be natural and not be in a defensive mode. Be relaxed and be responsive to what your opponent is doing. Do not anticipate...Be yourself and reactive in this case. Try to apply it to music....You should be relaxed and responsive to the music and everybody else playing with you. There is a tendency to be hesitant about it and you go wrong about it because you are more concentrated on what you are going to do instead of what is going on and that you need to respond to.

I know is easier said and done but inhale and exhale and be relaxed. Play along with the feel of what is been played. You might be rushing things because you are self-conscius (hope spelling is right) about it. Also, like Bruce said "be water...you put water in a tea cup and it becomes the tea cup..."

Last, and I emphasize, your confidence...you have to build it. If you do not think you are going to be up to the challenge is going to mess your mind and playing.... Whenever you have that you will not be concerned because you know you could do anything. (Even with limited skills you could make something if you know your "little well" and apply. However, never stop in trying to improve....It builds more confidence)....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:32 am

Great advice Raymond.
RayBoogie

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:10 pm

Raymonds advice is great. The only other thing I can add is, just listen as much as you can to Mongo-Ray B and others, they can give you the foundation "in concept"/theory,as how to approach soloing. It is also about conversation on the drum. You need to be able to "talk" drum. If you can say it, you can play it!. Also soloing is very tricky and you must also stay "in clave", or in time at least, if it's not a latin tune. Phrasing is also very important when soloing,especially in clave. I was taught that it's all "2's and 3's. Repeated over the 2 bar clave phrase. You begin with your "riffing" with "combinations" of riffs building one into another so it can connect and carry over into the next "phrase" of the clave. Do u understand this? You must also learn to play "space"(nothing) to let the solo "breathe". Now this takes time to learn, how to play the "holes" in a solo also. There is much to learn Grasshopper....... :;): JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:07 pm

all good replies from Raymnond and JC. Yep those spaces are important.

Let me add: No matter what genre you play, you need to come up with your own 'style' of playing, and of course a solo style or personality. But I understand about the "freaking out part' everyone goes through that at one point in the path of
success.. or not.
Tip, when you practice by yourself, try coming up with a solo at any part of a song.Especially the type of song that doesn't need a conga solo. Try to incorporate a riff into a solo.That way you get used to coming into a solo, and you are always ready for it. Then bring in those ideas and such into rehearsal (if the band allows that), but hold back from goin to a full bore solo. Hey its rehearsal right?People do take rehearsal differently , so YMMV . But thats a good way to keep your mind ready, and not get shocked.
Tip, when in doubt, roll (coutesy of D. Weckl) it works sometimes, especially if you lose the clave :;):
Tip, you don't always have to be in time if its a true solo(just you playing). Listen to some recorded solos', they slow down, speed up on purpose, to show dynamics.

Good luck:cool:

T
Tonio

Postby congastu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:05 am

All great advice!
I would also add that it helps to feel the music you are playing both as a whole and in its individual parts. This way, when you solo it becomes less about "hey, look at me" and more about augmenting the various instruments around you, weaving yourself around their melodies and bringing out their qualities. Its a reciprocal thing- when you see really good drummers, they also have the knack of supporting other solos with their choice of riff.
Also, if its latin, and your soloing with the bass or keys or whatever in your head, then youll probably naturally stay in clave [unless everyones back to front]. as johnny said, its a conversation, so take a phrase, start simply and repeat and build that phrase into a story with a beginning middle and end. That way its your voice rather than just a series of exercises, which is the biggest trap. Make it spontaneous- if you work enough on your chops theyll just come out one day in the order they want!
Also, if the other guys have dropped out then wahey! you are the boss so as tonio says speed up, slow down- do what you want and make sure theres some risk involved. As Tito Puente once said " i dont make mistakes, I just improvise"
Peace and love
Congastu
congastu

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:37 am

i do understand you mental freezing, but they aren't helping you neither by stopping all together( if you are playing tropical music),at least the bass and the rest of the rhythms section could continue to play through your solos,which is a different characteristics than the Rock,or Jazz music.The solos in the Afrocuban,African,Brazilian,Caribbean music,etc.,is characterized by the interaction with the rest of the percutive and bass-guitar pattern,even when sometimes some percussionists might performs a solo introduction to the song.But also a solo for some types of Jazz,is different than the regular solo for Rock,or a solo for African-Patterns,and a solo for Rumba.

Edited By zaragemca on 1087347270
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pidoca » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:16 am

G'day mate, the other thing you want to try is to learn the american rudiments, in time they will become part of your music vocabulary. There are some good books out there on the rudiments and their applications, these books are mainly for drumset, but they can be adapted. remember that a solo is you, it is your voice, you have something to say, say it throught the drum.

Cioa, God Bless
Pidocacabrita music
pidoca

Postby Fish » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:58 pm

I don't believe, particularly at this stage, that it's much of a sin to go into a solo situation with a few ideas you've worked out beforehand. I know a solo is meant to be spontaneous but I would say you can still be spontaneous in the way you develop and link those ideas. And that little bit of regimentation may just be what you need to get started.

But please don't take that too far and write out a full solo beforehand - at that point it ceases to be a solo and becomes part of the arrangement.

Just a few thoughts....

Fish
Fish

Postby stlouieray » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:44 pm

I just wish to thank everybody for their contributions to this post. Nobody got down on me, and everybody's comment is well accepted.

Gracias mis hermanos!!

Ray - :)
stlouieray

Postby akdom » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:28 am

Hi there
I can tell there are some experienced drummers in here.
To try to help, I would say that YES, what is not played in a solo is as important as what is played. Too many perussionists think that they have to fill in the bar as much as they can to be good..... Listen to Poncho Sancez and you'll see that a few strokes can have a major effect.
Also, don't think that a solo is an impro. It is not necesseraly. I mean that it can be if you have a lot of practice and if you can FELL the groove... Then your brains get connected to your hands and you are not in control any more. But before that, try to work on some easy phrases, sentences and patterns that you can use in your solos. This helps a lot. Try to mix 4/4 with 6/8, and once again, don't over do! Get use to these paterns and you will improve them slowly. They will then become a given and you will push your limits one step ahead...
To try to answer more directly, if you don't know where to start your solo, just leave a blank, breath, focus and start one bar later or off beat. This will give you time to think before you start. And once again, start with light patterns and go cresendo in your solo.
I hope this was helpfull.
akdom

Postby yoni » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:37 pm

All the advice here sounds great to me, though I think the nicest solos are spontaneous, and sound spontaneous. If you feel and hear the solo as a continuation of the music, rather than a set time frame (Oh! - It's my solo now!), then the solo might go more smoothly. This isn't always easy, because the drummer/percussionist will often have the fewest solos in the band, and when it finally comes around we can really feel "on the spot". But it's often best if it feels like it grows out of the music that came before, rather than "Ta-daa - here I am!".

For me it's fun to start free and wild and build a crescendo toward more rhythmic stuff, as implied here earlier. But whatever format you choose - or don't choose - the solos, and playing in general, sounds best to me when it feels free and spontaneous. Confidence is key. After all, it's only music. I feel the less we worry and think about it, the better we sound. It's mainly DOING music more and more that gives us chops and confidence. As said in English and some other languages - we PLAY music, yes, kind of like kids playing with toys. If it don't sound like we're playing, it'll sound stiff and cold, no?

all the best,
Yoni
yoni

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises