Tuning - Tuning to the same pitch everytime

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby doug » Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:46 pm

I've just gotten my first set of Congas,I've played drums for years. But I just can't seem to get a consistant tone from my drums. Do you all that have more experience with the Conga tune to the same pitch or to whatever you ear likes? Does anyone use a tuning key to help? I'm looking for something to help me get a more consitant sound from my drums.
doug

Postby Pancho » Thu Oct 25, 2001 5:34 am

De-tuning is the nature of the beast. I find the tumba the easiest drum to stay in tune, or tune up, and I re-tune almost daily, working from the 'true' tone of my tumba, and re-tuning around it. if i'm gigging, I'll re-tune to a piano, but normally I let the drum dictate its' pitch, and if my ears are happy, so be it. I don't know if this is the preferred way, but it works for me.
Pancho

Postby Bruno » Sun Oct 28, 2001 10:58 pm

Pancho:the congas, some times are tuned by 4: Do-FA.
But you can experiment wit a many diferent tuning, Rembering,always, What are you playing: Music style.
Bruno

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:20 pm

Hi Doug Standerd tuning is G-to-C a fourth apart and an Eflat thrown in with the third drum. or with two it can be --"here comes the bride" know that tune? But you have an ear and train it to what you want them to sound like based on their size..Q-C-Tumba. I hope that helps a little ...At your service JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby DALE » Wed Oct 31, 2001 1:03 pm

I have recently bought a set of cp congas,but i'm not sure exactly what they are (2nd hand) but they sound more african than latin.Any ideas? I have been playing various percussion for about 15 years now, and as far as tuning goes, I try anything from a major 2nd to minor 3rd to 4th to 5th ,just whatever sounds nice at the time ,but i do have doubts over how high to tune the congas,without er, hurting them!
DALE

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:13 am

Well, hurting them..: Talking about good brand congas, they (i.e. their skins) can stand high tension without suffering as long as you donĀ“t let them high-tuned for ages.
My "second-class- congas are CP as well, and with mule-skin and tuned up high, they sound really terrific, very African indeed!
Mike

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises