Sandunguera - Los Van Van

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 pm

I´ve been listening to Los Van Van´s Sandunguera, and haven´t been able de identify what rhythm is it. At the begining it seems to be a Songo variation, or something like that, but definitely not the Tumbao pattern.

When the montuno starts, I can identify a Tumbao.

Can anyone tell me what are they playing?

Thanks in advance!
dvon

Postby Raymond » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:41 pm

Is actually a cha-cha or "charanga" type that becomes sort of like a "guaguanco" (or what I call "straight up salsa"). Feels like a son-montuno but is not). Is not songo.

The Fania All-Stars did a cover of the song in the Bravo album (that by the way is album released around 1996 or 1997 that actually is a homage to Juan Formell the leader of Los Van Van. All the songs or most of them are former Van Van songs). This version is treated straight up like a cha-cha type. (It is sang by Adalberto Santiago).

Other opinions might follow by others...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:08 pm

Thanks Raymond... can you please write a brief transcription of the pattern that´s actually being played, or at least of the one you belief is being played? Or can you tell me where I can find something similar? In the conga book?

Thanks!!
dvon

Postby lido66 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:36 am

dvon wrote:I´ve been listening to Los Van Van´s Sandunguera, and haven´t been able de identify what rhythm is it. At the begining it seems to be a Songo variation, or something like that, but definitely not the Tumbao pattern.

Thanks in advance!

btstbsto bstOOtoo
llrllrlrlrlllrll

it's a songo variant

i would guess its in tomas cruz's book

good luck
lido66

Postby dvon » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Lido66, thanks for your reply...
Interesting... you also think it´s a songo variation, but Raymond said earlier that it wasn´t... (does anyone has another opinion?).

Only to get things clear about your notation: is the b, an h? Is it Tomás Cruz´s notation?

Thanks again!
dvon

Postby lido66 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:14 am

dvon wrote:Lido66, thanks for your reply...
Interesting... you also think it´s a songo variation, but Raymond said earlier that it wasn´t... (does anyone has another opinion?).

Only to get things clear about your notation: is the b, an h? Is it Tomás Cruz´s notation?

Thanks again!

Oh sorry - yeah the B is bass, t is tips. O is tumba o is conga open tone.
I was told by yaroldy abreu that the first bar of this is a songo.

martin
lido66

Postby manoscalientes » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:24 pm

lido66 wrote:
dvon wrote:I´ve been listening to Los Van Van´s Sandunguera, and haven´t been able de identify what rhythm is it. At the begining it seems to be a Songo variation, or something like that, but definitely not the Tumbao pattern.

Thanks in advance!

btstbsto bstOOtoo
llrllrlrlrlllrll

it's a songo variant

good luck

Hello, I was using this pattern to play the song.
It Sounds very interesting, but i don't know if the trascription is ok, becouse i had to change the hands on the last part.

Use the right hand on tumba and the left for the tips on conga is more natural to me. I am doing or reading something wrong?

i changed :

<span style='font-family:Courier'>btstbsto bstOOtoo
llrllrlr lrlllrll

by

btstbsto bstOOtoo
llrllrlr lrlrrlrr</span>

Listening the song i also noted that as a variation the conguero do not play or play with light touch some notes :

<span style='font-family:Courier'>btstbs-o bstOOto-
llrllrlr lrlrrlrr

- : silence or light touch</span>

I think that is a songo variant because the second part is identical to a pattern showed by Changuito in his video/book "Historia del Songo"

Please send me any comments, i am not an expert so correct me if i am wrong. I bough my congas two years ago but i started to study with a teacher six months ago.
Desde el sur con sabor.
manoscalientes

Postby lido66 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:15 am

manoscalientes wrote:
lido66 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

btstbsto bstOOtoo
llrllrlrlrlllrll

it's a songo variant

good luck

Hello, I was using this pattern to play the song.
It Sounds very interesting, but i don't know if the trascription is ok, becouse i had to change the hands on the last part.

Use the right hand on tumba and the left for the tips on conga is more natural to me. I am doing or reading something wrong?

Yes, sorry - I wrote it down wrong. the tumba notes should be from the right hand

thanks
martin
lido66

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises