Mexican Banda? - Suggestions?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Ivan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:42 pm

Hola Conga Board Members...

I was recently hired to play in a local Mexican Banda music group... You know, the kind of group with a dozen horns and two percussionists?? In this group I am required to play extremely loud. A lot of their ryhthms are "polka" you know 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2, etc... Their cumbias throw me in a loop as I use to the old Columbian folkloric style...

I am looking for suggested ryhthms to play to this music. I will be playing percussion not drum set. I went to towerrecords.com and typed in "Mexican Banda Music" in the search field - this is an example which hits pretty close to what I will be required to play to... For the record, this is not my favorite type of music, but it does pay pretty good... :p

Click here to listen to some tracks:
Banda Examples from Tower

Thanks in advance.
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:43 pm

Chacho...that's a tough one after listening to "Mexican Polka", Banda Boom.....It's in 6 123 123.....you can play almost any configuration of 6 with this music on 2 congas, u just have to be a bit "inventive" in your approach. There is always a tamborine too ya know, that you can use from time to time, instead of congas....but it is challenging to say the least.....we can try and work i tout at our next lesson....BTW The Batas came today :D :D :D :D :D "JC" Johnny Conga............
JohnnyConga

Postby Ivan » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:59 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:BTW The Batas came today "JC" Johnny Conga............

Gracias bro... Can't wait to see'em!!!! :p :p
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby zaragemca » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 pm

I've been there( after playing with around five mexican bands),for the percussion in the Cumbias(mexican-style),it is performed with slap and tone(close to the colombian-style),for the Polkas is not required to play congas,for Guapango(a caballo would be the pattern),for the 3/4 (tamborine,or Torpido(metal), would do the work.In the corridos is not required to play the congas neither.I was not playing with Banda-Bands,but with Tropical-Mexican Bands,but I had shared the stage with a lot of Mextex,Banda, Regional music,and what is called now Onda Grupera.Saludos.

Edited By zaragemca on 1095368209
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises