Slap happy - More questions on the elusive slap...

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Drumaholic » Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:54 pm

When I hear good slaps played on recordings it sounds like a totally separate drum. I have to listen very closely then I realize it's the same pitch as the open tones. As opposed to the 'round' warm sound of an open tone, it also has sustain but more of a "knocky" tone, like banging a couple of coconuts together in an auditorium. I'm not talking about a 'pop' or a 'smack'. This is an open slap, right?
I'm a beginner and this tonal separation is something I'm really eager to produce. I play open slaps with my hand in the same position as with a tone, but I change the muscle tension in my fingers (hard to describe). Should I be moving my hand toward the center of the head? How would you describe in the most detail, the way to get that sound?? Thanks!
Drumaholic

Postby Yukon conga » Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:05 pm

Hey Drumaholic
The way I’ve learned from books, videos and practise to do a slap is to move your hand slightly in towards the center of the drum, so that the knuckles (or more correctly, the area where you would get calluses from chopping wood or shoveling) are just in past the rim of the drum. Because my hands are both pointing toward the center of the drum, it’s actually the callus below my little finger that is just barely onto the drumhead. The rest of my hand(s) is further onto the head.

As with all the strokes, keep your hands and arms relaxed. When you slap, your fingertips kind of whip the head and at the moment of contact should try to sort of grab the head. So the slap sound is being produced by two things: (1) The Fingertips Striking The Head, as opposed to the tone where the whole surface of the fingers bounce off the head. Of course, when you slap your hand should not bounce off the head and if you were to freeze your hand in that position for a sec you could slide the index finger of your other hand in (2) The Hollow you’ve created with that subtle grabbing of the head.

I also find it a bit more effective to slap in a bit of a diagonal direction toward the center as opposed to coming straight down onto the drum. Oh, and by the way, keep your thumb up or it’ll get mighty sore from hitting the rim!

To get the best sounding slaps use the quinto or secunda. I find the tumba kinda hard to get a crisp slap out of. Also, try a bit of amplification. Either with mic and amp or playing in a place with lots of natural amplification and some reverb. You’ll be amazed at how much better your drums sound!

There are some good books and videos out there. For basic techniques with clear explanations I could recommend the video from Dancing Hands Music by Alan Dworsky. They also have a book/CD combo with a variety of rhythms.

Hope my explanation is clear. Also hope it's correct. I'm open for criticism, everybody.

Ross
Yukon conga

Postby Drumaholic » Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:13 pm

Ross,
Thanks for the help--I think I'm getting it! And you weren't kidding about mic'ing. I put on some headphones, held a mic next to the head, and cranked it up. I get that cool sound I've been after.
I'm not consistent but it's there somewhere. About one slap in five sounds sweet. Now all I have to do is replicate that stroke and develop some muscle memory.
When you say you slap in a diagonal direction toward the center, from which direction is your hand coming?
Thanks,
Steve
Drumaholic

Postby Yukon conga » Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:29 am

Hey Steve
When you're playing, your forearms should form about a 90 degree angle with each other. When I slap, my hand is moving slightly from outside to inside and also slightly toward me. I don't know if others do this, but it works for me.
Ross
Yukon conga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:44 am

Actually there are 3 types of Slaps. Open slap,Closed Slap(with left hand putting pressure on head while right hand strikes between the knuckles of your thumb on left hand), and Bata slap . Open left hand slap at top center of drum. Some recommend slap toward the edge of the drum,towards the center is the spot....Hope that helps...at your service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:53 am

If you really want to know what a tapao or slap is just listen to Mighty Mongo. His 8th note slaps are patented. Can't miss them or mistake them,they are truly unique unto themselves on every recording,you can hear his Slaps!.......JC JOHNNY CONGA........
JohnnyConga

Postby DALE » Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:49 am

So many slaps, so little time! I push one fingertip gently into the skin, and strike to get a nice, woody,warm slap, then there's the karate style side of thehand placed anywhere on the top, with an edge-strike to get a whole bundle, almost a scale. Then there's all the bass tones, full-on palm in the centre, with different aftertouch and bounce, oh man now you've got me going, tried playing Tabla ha ha ha
DALE

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises