"move on up" by Curtis Mayfield

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby IanB » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:56 pm

I have only recently begun playing the conga. Can any of you more experienced guys tell me what the pattern/rhythm for the congas on Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" is?

All contributions to my enlightenment will be gladly received...

Ian
IanB

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:39 am

"Master" Henry Gibson is the conga drummer and he is playing a version of guaguanco on 3 congas with bongos between his legs. How do I know, cause I seen him do it, back in the late 60's in New York, when he was with Curtis. and he does it in the beginning of the movie he was in with Curtis called "Superfly" circa 70's......."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:18 pm

Although I don´t know the movie: The song SUPERFLY is really ultracool - subzero :) If you´ve got a good bass lick like this tune, anything goes! Curtis Mayfield´s music has a great groove!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Simon B » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:29 pm

What's happened to Henry Gibson?

Simon
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:43 pm

The last time I ran into "Master" Henry was my Latin meets Jazz series I held on monday nights on South Beach , back in the 90's. Before that I hadn't seen him in years. He had married a woman from Finlnad or from Amsterdam and was living in Europe, and working over there. It has been my experience that musicians are more "respected" overseas than in the U.S. Europeans and others see musicians as "Artists" and "creators", and have a deeper understanding of what "we" go through, and what "we" sacrifice for the Arts.
"JC" Johnny Conga..... :;):
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises